Woman & Home Forums

Meet women just like you by joining the woman&home forum and clubs today. Plus, enjoy our exclusive competitions, offers and events.

Sue's blog

Sue James

w&h Forum Update: Now Live!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning the silicon seal strip at the bottom of the bath shower screen

Cleaning the silicon seal strip at the bottom of the bath shower screen

We had a glass bath shower screen fitted about 18 months ago and are really delighted with how much smarter the bathroom now looks. We have been meticulous in keeping the screen clean, wiping it down thoroughly on a daily basis to keep it looking gleaming. The problem is getting into the corners of the silicon at the bottom of the screen, that seals the space between the screen and the bath and over the months, the edges have started to accumulate "gunk". We've tried to get at it with cotton wool buds and even a cocktail stick, with kitchen roll wrapped round, but can't quite get into the very corner edges to clean it out. Any hints? We'd be very grateful. Many thanks.

having the same probs. how ever hard we try cleaning it the black mould etc persist. so i will also be interested in any solutions

Gunk quite often sticks to limescale, have you tried white vinegar? Soak kitchen roll in it and stick it to the glass, you can squidge it into the corner, worth a try and won't do any harm so long as its glass/ceramic and not natural or composite stone anywhere.

Other than that you may have to just dig out the sealant and re-do it.

Do you have a spare toothbrush or little sewing machine brush and I use a weakened "Exit Mould". Good Luck, Karina

I have the same problem. I will try the white vinegar. It annoys me so much. The bathroom is just 2 years old and otherwise very pretty.I will ask at B@Q about how to replace the strip if I cannot get it clean.

Hi , try Bicarbanate of Soda, mix it to a paste with warm water and use an old toothbrush, it really does work a treat.

If it's just that you can't get to the corner, I would try spraying Viacal on it, leave 10 mins and use a spray to wash off? Viacal is brilliant stuff , it comes in a bottle of spray, both are great!
    Last edited by aggie; 25-03-2013 at 08:32 PM.
    Aggie
    *** You may as well die living ***

It's really easy to re-silicone - I did mine a few months ago. Just cut the old stuff out, get one of those silicone guns and tube and off you trot.

Those tubes that claim are squeezeable, are hard work, it's a lot easier with a gun! Secondly, get some masking tape and put it either side of the 'line' where you are putting the sealant, then afterwards, just pull it off and you have a nice straight line - trust me, you won't get one without the masking tape!!!

Yout tube it - lots of helpful stuff on there, pointless getting a man in unless you have problems with your hands.
    I am angry, I am ill and I'm as ugly as sin.
    My irritability keeps me alive and kicking.

Mmm, think I will try the Bicarb of Soda as this is ruining my nice new (to me) bathroom. If not, can I be trusted with a gun??

armed and dangerous Annebags!
    I am angry, I am ill and I'm as ugly as sin.
    My irritability keeps me alive and kicking.

I've replaced my sealant with a gun too Chilla, but I found that a wet finger run along straight after smooths it off nicely too