Flattering jumpsuits have become a lynchpin in many fashion collections. One of the most popular occasionwear options due to their versatility and unmatched comfort, jumpsuits are not to be overlooked.
Whether you're curating a capsule wardrobe for women over 60 or searching for a more practical alternative to the best wedding guest dresses, the most flattering jumpsuits should be on your radar when putting together autumn outfit ideas. Comfortable, stylish, and available in multiple smart and casual iterations, the jumpsuit has firmly cemented its place in our wardrobes. Masterfully straddling the line between trousers and a dress, it ticks almost every sartorial box.
The practical all-in-ones that began as boilersuits and dungarees have now transformed into the modern jumpsuit in all its glory, and our love for the wardrobe essential is unwavering. With a multitude of cuts available, you can find a flattering jumpsuit for any and every event. No matter your height, body shape, budget, or personal style, we've found the most flattering jumpsuits on the market to buy now and wear all season.
21 flattering jumpsuits for all body types - according to our fashion editor
Whether you have a pear body shape, rectangle body shape, apple body shape or are looking for plus size or petite picks, we have pulled together some of the best jumpsuits on the market and given you some helpful tips for what to look out for when shopping too. With picks that tie in with the autumn/winter fashion trends 2023, as well as timeless silhouettes, there's something for everyone.
Best jumpsuits for apple shapes
Finding a flattering jumpsuit for an apple body shape is easy when you know what to look for. While you might have previously leaned towards dresses to hide a tummy, a jumpsuit can be a great silhouette for an apple body shape. It's all about finding one that defines your waist and is tailored for your legs.
Three fashion tips...
- Wrap & V-neck lines draw the eye up to the bust and away from your middle.
- Your focus should be on defining the waist and legs. Look for jumpsuits that tie at the middle or have structured waistband panels as these help pull you in.
- Straight leg or tailored pants will complement slim legs.
RRP: £79.99 / $129.99 | Leaning into this season's cargo-inspired trend this flattering jumpsuit can be styled for day or evening for added versatility. Add a tailored blazer for a work capsule wardrobe, swapping to jewelled courts for an evening look.
RRP: £139 / $250 | A great birthday outfit idea, the faux wrap and tie waist and V-neckline create an hourglass silhouette. With a short sleeve for gentle upper arm coverage and a flattering wide leg cut, will skim elegantly over thighs and hips.
Best jumpsuits for pear shapes
Pear-shaped bodies generally have a smaller bust and waist, with wider hips and bottom. For the most flattering jumpsuit for a pear-shaped figure, you want to look for cuts that create a balance between a wider bottom and smaller top half.
Three fashion tips...
- Straight or wide leg pants are your best friend. They’ll glide and flow over your bottom half creating a streamlined shape.
- Wide necks or off-the-shoulder styles work beautifully as they’ll balance you out. Seek out jumpsuits with noticeable details around the neck or shoulder, such as a bold collar, a flounce or a striking one-shoulder detail for special-occasion looks.
- Prints work especially well for pears as they draw the eye around the body, or look for styles that have a print on the top half and a plain bottom half.
RRP: £225 / $375 | This black evening jumpsuit is the ideal substitute for an LBD. For shoes to wear with wide leg pants, dress up with wedges or down with flat sandals for a more laid-back look. With extra floaty trousers, it could even be mistaken for a dress.
RRP: £199 / $342 | An off the shoulder style helps to balance out wider hips and narrows waists in the process, for an hourglass finish. The white hue may not be suitable for what to wear to a wedding, but it will stand out on a late winter vacation.
Best jumpsuits for rectangle shapes
Rectangle body shapes have the ability to turn their hands to most styles. A straight up and down silhouette allows you to play with a host of different styles, either leaning into that rectangular aesthetic or creating curves, depending on your mood. If you're looking to add curves and fullness, then the boilersuit is definitely worth a look. The front chest pockets help to add shape and you can easily play with proportion, opting for super wide or super tailored styles too.
Three fashion tips...
- Show off shoulders, collarbones and shoulders in halter neck or sleeveless styles. A halterneck draws the eye down the body so it will also add inches.
- Boiler suits look great worn slouchy, especially if you have height. Try styling a crisp white shirt, Breton top or neckerchief underneath a boiler suit to help create shapely layers and interest.
- Tailored trousers work well for you, however wide flowing pants can create a beautiful hourglass silhouette when balanced with a fitted waist.
RRP: £110 / $150 | A utility jumpsuit, similar to a boilersuit is ideal for a rectangular body shape. Adding definition to the waist, the shorter sleeve and collar detail works with a more angular, or broader shouldered frame. Great for a more relaxed look.
RRP: £395 / $495 | This gorgeous silk floral and leaf print jumpsuit is a stylish option for important occasions this season. The tie waist belt helps to highlight your middle, while the sleeves ensure you can wear this through the fall too.
RRP: £72 / $97 | A boilersuit is a more androgynous, harder wearing version of a jumpsuit and sustainable clothing brand, Lucy & Yak are absolute pros at this silhouette. Thanks to the straight leg cut, it will skim thighs for a more tailored finish.
Best jumpsuits for hourglass shapes
Hourglass body shapes tend to have defined shoulders and hips of equal proportions, with a more slender waistline, creating what is literally the shape of an hourglass. This figure benefits from tailored styles and the most flattering jumpsuits will nip you in at the waist. They can easily wear tailored or wide-legged trousers, although fuller pants legs will aid in accentuating small, fitted, waistlines for more exaggerated curves. V-necks work well to elongate hourglass silhouettes.
Three fashion tips...
- Draw attention to your middle with a wide belt in a matching or contrasting shade.
- Wide-leg jumpsuits will exaggerate your frame for a flattering look.
- Wrap styles are a fail-proof option, giving you the freedom to adjust the fit to your figure.
RRP: £503 / $830 | The sweetheart neckline on this jumpsuit is perfect for enhancing an hourglass silhouette, framing the bust, creating a rounder and fuller shape. The tailored waist, followed by a slightly wide leg trouser leg draws the eye in and out.
RRP: £69 (UK only) | For a comfortable alternative to denim jumpsuit, this lightweight cotton number will keep you cool whilst looking put together. The belt will help to enhance your shape whilst the button up front allows you to change up the neckline.
RRP: £39.99 (UK only) | With a flattering V-neckline, this striped jumpsuit is made to highlight an hourglass silhouette. With a self fabric tie belt, creating the illusion of a narrower waist, the cut highlights a bust before pulling you in. The print adds a lovely pop of brightness. Team with any of the best denim jackets for every day.
Best jumpsuits for plus-size
The most flattering jumpsuits work on all shapes and sizes and when it comes to best plus size clothing brands, jumpsuits have become a particular hit. Plus size clothing brands will have taken proportions into account and so while the best brands still have plenty of trend-worthy styles, they've adapted them to work on fuller figures. Modeled by some of the best plus size models, jumpsuits work just as well as the best plus size dresses when it comes to flattering curves, and theyre much more comfortable than jeans for curvy women.
Three fashion tips...
- Opt for good quality fabrics and brands that cut for a plus size figure, this is because you want the right amount of stretch and fit for the most flattering finish.
- If you want a streamlined silhouette, pair your jumpsuit with the best plus size shapewear. It will hold you in and sculpt your shape for a smooth finish.
- Consult the rest of the guides in this feature. Just because you're plus size, doesn't mean you can't also be an hourglass, apple, or pear shape. The principles that work for those body types will also transfer for plus size bodies.
RRP: £69 / $128 | The perfect piece for plus size outfit ideas, this floaty jumpsuit is right on trend. The V neckline elongates your silhouette, while the wide sleeve and wide leg add a delightfully bohemian feel that can be dressed up or down in all seasons.
Best jumpsuits for big boobs
Jumpsuits can be one of the most flattering and easy-to-wear silhouettes for women with large chests. V-necklines or scoops are an ideal choice to both flatter and enhance your curves, and it's also worth looking for detailing that draws the eye downwards to add extra inches. From prints to block colour, both work well for you.
However, it's especially important to consider how the style of jumpsuit you go for will work with your best bra. The key to a flattering jumpsuit for big boobs lies in getting the right fit on your bust, which begins with wearing the perfect bra for you. Look for sleeved silhouettes or draped styles to ensure you can wear your most comfortable bra without worry.
Three fashion tips...
- Straight or wider leg jumpsuits will balance out your chest.
- V necks and wrap styles are most flattering. As with all jumpsuits you need to make sure your waist is well defined so avoid ones with excess fabric that bags down.
- Make sure you've opted for your favourite bra and the straps are tightened to the correct amount so that your bust line sits in the right place to elongate your torso.
RRP: £475 / $475 | With a V-neckline and elasticated waist, this jumpsuit is ideal for those with a fuller bust. The all over tropical print also adds a delicious dose of dopamine dressing for a funner and brighter finish, while the collar gives a sporty, fresh feel.
Best jumpsuits for petites
If worn correctly, a jumpsuit can really elongate your frame and be one of the most flattering pieces in your wardrobe. The all-in-one shape forms an unbroken vertical line that can give petites the illusion of extra height, whilst a cropped hem also works to elongate the legs.
The best petite jeans prove that getting the right trouser cut and length for you can make or break a look, so it's worth taking your time to find the perfect petite jumpsuit. As with plus-size jumpsuits, you will want to consider your body type and height to get the best possible fit.
Three fashion tips...
- Don’t swamp your body, stick to tailored and fitted styles. You can get away with slightly oversized but the proportions must still be correct. Be mindful of the crotch area as this can not be altered by a tailor easily.
- Slim and straight-leg trousers will make your legs look longer.
- Stick to all one colour or print to help elongate your body. If you are opting for a jumpsuit with added detail, look for detail at the top of the jumpsuit (along shoulders or yokes) as this draws the eye up.
RRP: £170 / $155 | Body hugging and booty shaping, this short-sleeved jumpsuit features a hidden front zip for a flat and fitted front. The lighter denim hue offers a more casual finish to your ensemble, with this jumpsuit pairing with sneakers or dressy flats.
RRP: £229 / $394 | The chicest petite jumpsuit, this is designed to enhance smaller frames. Ideal for dinner dates and evening wear, the defined waist, coupled with cropped tailored trousers, offers a smart finish. A great alternative to rehearsal dinner dresses too.
RRP: £130 / $190 | If you're petite, chances are you've regularly struggled to find pants that stop at the ankle or calf, as traditional 'cropped' lengths can often end up full length on those with a smaller stature. Designed with you in mind, this retro-inspired jumpsuit is a must-have for the season ahead.
Can jumpsuits be flattering
Jumpsuits can definitely be flattering and as with any other item of clothing in your wardrobe, it's about selecting the cut that works best for your body type. As laid out above, there are some quick and easy styling tricks to learn to help you select the most flattering jumpsuit for your shape.
To balance out a fuller bust, opt a lower neckline and a wider leg. To draw the eye up and away from your lower torso, look for a more detailed bodice, neckline or shoulder detail, such as a collar or ruffles.
In order to define your shape select more tailored options, or belted options to give your silhouette more contour.
Can a 50 plus woman wear a jumpsuit
"There is no age limit on wearing a jumpsuit and a woman aged 50 and above could certainly wear a jumpsuit," says Rivkie Baum, fashion editor at womanandhome.com. "The largest consideration one should make when choosing a jumpsuit, regardless of age is fit and cut. Selecting a cut that feels comfortable and works for your silhouette, is of upmost importance. Consider the advice above to help you narrow down the styles that will most suit you. A jumpsuit is a great alternative to a dress for both casual and dressy occasions and can also be a comfortable option for those who prefer trousers, but want the seamlessness of a one piece ensemble."
With over fifteen years' experience, Rivkie is an accomplished fashion editor, writer and stylist. Covering international fashion weeks, and styling photoshoots all over the world, Rivkie loves translating the trends in an accessible way to make fashion available for all budgets.
Sign up to our free daily email for the latest royal and entertainment news, interesting opinion, expert advice on styling and beauty trends, and no-nonsense guides to the health and wellness questions you want answered.
Jess Beech is an experienced fashion and beauty editor, with more than eight years experience in the publishing industry. She has written for woman&home, GoodtoKnow, Now, Woman, Woman’s Weekly, Woman’s Own and Chat, and is a former Deputy Fashion & Beauty Editor at Future PLC. A beauty obsessive, Jess has tried everything from cryotherapy to chemical peels (minus the Samantha in Sex and The City-worthy redness) and interviewed experts including Jo Malone and Trinny Woodall.
- Amelia YeomansSenior writer
An expert guide to pruning your blueberry shrub for more nutritious and delicious berries
Yes, you should be pruning your blueberry shrub this month to make sure you grow as much delicious fruit as possible
By Kayleigh Dray Published
Does Queen Camilla have Ladies-in-Waiting, what do they do and does Kate Middleton have them