We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
We've been perfecting our at-home beauty treatments.
From DIY manis and pedis to salon-worthy facials, at-home versions of our favourite pampering treatments have become the new normal. But one of the easiest things to get right, DIY-style, is a colour touch up or refresh – thanks to these great high street products. With so many technological advances in at-home hair care, you no longer have to go to your salon to achieve professional-level results.
Whether you want to subtly create some more movement in your hair, or change your shade for a bigger effect, these at-home dye kits are the perfect way to shake up your style. With clear instructions and proven results, it’s never been easier to breathe new life into your hair.
We asked expert hair colourist and Clairol UK Ambassador Michael Douglas – what are the golden rules when colouring hair at home?
- Wear a protective towel or gown that you do not mind staining.
- Apply a small amount of petroleum jelly around the hairline, on the forehead and temple area. Avoid getting it on the hair as it forms a barrier to colour but it’s helpful to stop staining on the skin around the hairline.
- Follow the instructions and look at the pack/box for the shade recommendations based on your existing/natural hair colour.
- It is important to remember that all colour brands have slightly different formulas so please make sure you read the instruction leaflet which will give details on application and development times. This is key to helping you achieve the colour result you would like with at-home dye kits.
- Application is super important. The better the application, the better the result. For example, if you have long or very thick hair and you think you will need two boxes, then use two.
- Make sure your hair is tangle and knot free, use a small amount of serum to make sure your hair is smooth and easy to section.
- A wide tooth comb will help you distribute the product throughout all the hair.
These are the best at-home dye kits, for salon-worthy results
Regularly sold out on Amazon has gained a cult following. Loyal fans admit that the process is time-consuming, but the results make that hour of strand-pulling worthwhile. A fool-proof colouring treatment, users have exclaimed time and again how they won't ever go back to paying pricey salon costs, when this nifty pack rivals the results.
Invest in all the necessary highlighting tools before you buy and be sure to make time to highlight your hair - as you would if you were giving over time for a salon treatment. Why? Because the results are worth every minute. For a dramatically blonde shade that lasts longer than four weeks, add this to your shopping cart today.
We'd all love to have the never-ending disposable income to pop to a professional salon whenever we need a touch-up, so when John Frieda brought his colouring techniques to our homes, women everywhere rejoiced! The first permanent colour of its kind, uses a foam technology to create a natural-looking, honey-coloured hue. The foam consistency means there's no danger of drips in the bathroom and with the the John Frieda name, you can feel totally confident of a rich, flawless shade.
A real game changer in haircare, John Frieda Go-Blonder (or Brunette) In-Shower Lightening Treatment, £6.65, (above) intensifies your hair colour (whatever the colour) a whole shade in the few minutes it takes to shower.
And if you want a very quick fix for those Zoom meetings, or Facetime catch ups? Batiste is here to help. Their hint of colour. It's great for a quick, temporary root coverup and also allows you to create a natural balayage, if you want to get creative!