Most people are prepared to try anything – within reason – to boost their happiness and overall sense of wellbeing.
And while moving to a new location to meet this end may sound a little extreme, the results of a new research could inspire you to do just that.
The Expat Insider Quality of Life Index examines how countries around the world fare in terms of keeping their residents smiling and feeling both safe and secure using several measures.
Its 2019 edition includes 64 countries and territories with a minimum of 75 respondents each are, and features a number of different subcategories, which are as follows: Leisure Options, Health & Well-Being, Safety & Security, Personal Happiness, Travel & Transportation, and Digital Life.
And one country on the continent has emerged as frontrunner in several areas, and it’s just a two-hour plane ride from the UK.
Spain is already famed for its beautiful beaches, restorative siestas and amazing gastronomy, and now it can add high scores for quality of life (2nd), personal happiness (4th) and health and wellbeing (3rd) to the list.
Other insights from the Index reveal more about why Spain continues to be such a popular choice for expats. These are as follows:
- 79 per cent of people in Spain say moving abroad has made them happier (vs. 61 per cent globally).
- 81 per cent of expats were pleased with the cost of living in Spain in general, 34 percentage points higher than the global average (47 per cent).
- Just over half of expats (52 per cent) rate the quality if medical care very highly. On this, the report notes: ‘Healthcare in Spain is not only affordable but also very high quality. The country has moved up five ranks to second place for the high standard of its medical care, only behind Tawaiin’.
- Unsurprisingly a whopping 97 per cent of those living in Spain enjoy the climate and weather.
- 81 per cent of expats also revealed that they’re satisfied with their leisure and socialising activities, 16 percentage points higher than the global average (16 per cent).
Have you added a spell in Spain to your bucket list?
Fabulously fresh, these cod bruschetta will take you straight to the Italian Riviera!
By Samuel Goldsmith •
Meghan Markle reveals how her children’s book, The Bench, explores ‘another side of masculinity’ as she gives thanks for bestseller status
Meghan Markle’s book was inspired by Prince Harry and Archie
By Emma Shacklock •
How to fall asleep fast–the speedy sleep techniques the experts swear by
Want to know how to fall asleep fast? You're in luck. Our experts share their easy tricks to help you nod off...
By Faye M Smith •
The best vibrator for a buzz alone or with your partner
Our best vibrator round-up is packed with tried and tested reviews and recommendations for top orgasms
By Faye M Smith •
Why does my pee smell? Five possible causes of smelly urine
Wondering why does my pee smell? Here are five common causes, according to an expert
By Jenni McKnight •
10 natural cures for insomnia to help end sleepless nights
Nip sleep disturbance in the bud with these expert-approved hacks for regaining control of your slumber
By Stacey Carter •
How to lose a stone in a month: an easy-to-follow, effective diet plan
This simple diet and exercise plan, including tips from nutritionist Kim Pearson, can help you to slim down
By Amy Hunt •
Popular painkiller recalled after fears the product may cause overdose
A popular painkiller has been recalled from shelves after fears that the product may cause purchasers to overdose
By Laura Harman •
These are the best exercises to lose belly fat at home
Three of the best exercises to help you tone up!
By Lucy Gornall •
Menopause and the brain: turns out it’s not so bad
A new study that examines how menopause affects the brain has attracted a lot of attention
By Danielle Valente •