North Indian chickpea, lentil and squash curry is a vegetarian and vegan curry recipe packed with flavour and a creamy texture
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2tbsp oil
- 1tsp each ground coriander, fennel seeds, cumin, turmeric, garam masala, black pepper, chilli flakes and ground cinnamon
- 1tbsp fresh root ginger, grated
- 150g (5oz) red lentils
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 handfuls baby spinach
- juice 1 lemon
- 2tbsp each freshly chopped coriander and mint
Ring the changes and use watercress or rocket instead of spinach. This dish can be made the day before serving.
Cook the onion in oil in a large saucepan until softened. Add the spices and fresh ginger, stir well and cook for a few minutes.
Season well. Add the lentils, squash and 700ml (11/4pt) water. Bring to the boil then simmer until the lentils are thick and mushy. Add the chickpeas and spinach and stir well until the leaves have wilted and the mixture is hot. Add the lemon juice and herbs. Serve with paratha, pappadums or a mixture of breads and the tomato and red onion salad.
For the salad, finely chop a red onion. Deseed and dice 4 medium tomatoes. Mix the two together. Add the juice of a lime and 2tsp chopped fresh coriander with some salt. Stir well.