If you’re in the mood for a Mexican night but aren’t sure where to start food wise, this easy quesadilla and butternut squash recipe is a perfect introduction to Mexican cuisine that really packs a punch when it comes to flavour.
A quesadilla is a tortilla that’s filled with cheese and then grilled, but our version of the classic Mexican dish so much more than that. We’ve asses paprika and chilli to really turn up the heat on this one. Plus there’s butternut squash, red pepper and spring onions to add to the flavour and texture while providing some of your five-a-day. This recipe serves four so it’s a great on to try with all the family this week.
HOW TO MAKE CHILLI AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH QUESADILLAS
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160Cfan/350F/Gas 4. Toss the butternut with the red pepper, chilli, olives and paprika. Place on a baking tray, drizzle over the oil and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- Heat a non stick frying pan over a medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan and spoon over a third of the butternut squash mix. Scatter over some of the spring onions, coriander and both cheeses.
- Cover with another tortilla and heat for 1 ½ minutes before carefully flipping over and frying for a further 1 ½ minutes. Chop into wedges and serve with salad.
- 500g (1lb 2oz) butternut squash, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 4 tbsp chopped olives
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 corn flour tortillas
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- ½ pack fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 125g (4½oz) mozzarella, torn
- 100g (4oz) cheddar cheese, grated
- Salad, to serve
Top Tip for making Chilli and Butternut Squash Quesadillas
The great thing about quesadillas is you can fill them will any kind of vegetables or cheese so use up what you have in the fridge.
Where does Prince Charles live? Look inside Clarence House, the London residence Charles and Camilla call home
The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall stay here when they're in the capital.
By Amy Hunt •
Reese Witherspoon's book club is launching a fellowship to assist underrepresented women
Reese's Book Club launched a new writer's fellowship called LitUp to help underrepresented women pursue a career in writing
By Rylee Johnston •
Amazon shoppers love Black + Decker's 'exceptional' handheld vacuum—and it's on sale
Amazon shoppers can't get enough of Black + Decker's compact vacuum for cleaning up messes and fitting in those hard-to-reach spots
By Rylee Johnston •