If you’re in the mood for a Mexican night but aren’t sure where to start food wise, this easy quesadilla and butternut squash recipe is a perfect introduction to Mexican cuisine that really packs a punch when it comes to flavour.
A quesadilla is a tortilla that’s filled with cheese and then grilled, but our version of the classic Mexican dish so much more than that. We’ve asses paprika and chilli to really turn up the heat on this one. Plus there’s butternut squash, red pepper and spring onions to add to the flavour and texture while providing some of your five-a-day. This recipe serves four so it’s a great on to try with all the family this week.
HOW TO MAKE CHILLI AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH QUESADILLAS
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160Cfan/350F/Gas 4. Toss the butternut with the red pepper, chilli, olives and paprika. Place on a baking tray, drizzle over the oil and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- Heat a non stick frying pan over a medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan and spoon over a third of the butternut squash mix. Scatter over some of the spring onions, coriander and both cheeses.
- Cover with another tortilla and heat for 1 ½ minutes before carefully flipping over and frying for a further 1 ½ minutes. Chop into wedges and serve with salad.
- 500g (1lb 2oz) butternut squash, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 4 tbsp chopped olives
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 corn flour tortillas
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- ½ pack fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 125g (4½oz) mozzarella, torn
- 100g (4oz) cheddar cheese, grated
- Salad, to serve
Top Tip for making Chilli and Butternut Squash Quesadillas
The great thing about quesadillas is you can fill them will any kind of vegetables or cheese so use up what you have in the fridge.
These Barbour jackets have had a fresh spring update to help elevate your daily walks to Kate Middleton level
The perfect seasonal update
By Lydia Swinscoe •
Prince Philip has had a procedure for his heart condition, Buckingham Palace confirms
Prince Philip will remain in hospital for the coming days
By Emma Dooney •
Shoppers say these high-waisted leggings are the softest they've ever owned — and they're now 45% off on Amazon
With over 50,000 reviews, these fan-favorite leggings tout a laundry list of bragging rights — here's why they belong in your closet
By Dominique McIntee •