This butternut squash salad is so tasty as well as being good for you. It's the perfect dish for a buffet at any time of the year, and makes a side dish with a difference for summer BBQs. The creamy tahini dressing adds a wonderful richness to this roasted vegetable salad, but is still suitable for vegans. Butternut squash is a great source of vitamin A, which helps to improve your eyesight, as well as being high in fibre and a good source of potassium. This butternut squash salad is filling and flavourful, jewelled with pomegranate seeds and finished with the delicious tahini dressing. It’s a vegan-friendly salad that is healthy, hearty and so tasty. Roasting squash makes it caramelize slightly, giving depth of flavour and beautiful colour. Whether it’s for a light lunch or satisfying side, this butternut squash salad is guaranteed to go down a treat.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SALAD
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 600g jar Spanish chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 100g pomegranate seeds
- lime wedges and fresh mint leaves
For the dressing:
- 3tbsp tahini paste
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1tbsp maple syrup
- Heat the oven to 200C. Toss the squash in the oil, season well then spread out onto a baking tray and roast for 40 mins. To make the dressing, whisk together the tahini, lemon juice, maple syrup and 3tbsp water. Season well. You can adjust the amount of water to make a thicker or thinner dressing.
- Mix the chickpeas in with the squash and return to the oven for 10 mins. Arrange on a serving platter, scatter over the pomegranate seeds and drizzle over some dressing (serve the rest on the side). Serve with wedges of lime and scatter over the fresh mint.
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Chocolate and hazelnut roulade
This chocolate and hazelnut roulade comes with an optional Baileys Irish cream liqueur filling for an extra, festive twist
By Jen Bedloe • Published
This no-bake Baileys cheesecake is so easy to make and perfect for cream liqueur lovers, plus it takes just 40 minutes to prepare
By Jess Meyer • Published
Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline
Serve this rich Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline for a festive dessert that makes a popular alternative to Christmas pudding
By Jen Bedloe • Published
Great British Bake Off’s vegan contestant apologizes for ‘disappointing’ fans with technical challenge
Great British Bake Off's vegan Freya Cox surprised viewers after using animal products in the show's first episode
By Emma Dooney • Published
The indulgent dessert that Kate Middleton loves is so quintessentially British
A chef once revealed Kate Middleton's go-to dessert for post-dinner indulgence
By Caitlin Elliott • Published
Kate Middleton's refreshing heatwave salad is the perfect BBQ crowdpleaser
Kate Middleton's refreshing heatwave salad is the perfect dish for your next summer BBQ - here is how to make this simple salad
By Laura Harman • Published