Bruschetta is a simple and easy healthy lunch recipe, but this pepper and garlic version is tinged with Mediterranean flavours that will make you think you’re on holiday, rather than sat at your desk.
While you’ll need to take a little time to roast the peppers and garlic, the wait is worth it for this wonderful mix of fresh flavours.
As well as counting towards your five-a-day, peppers are a great source of Vitamin C, particularly in red peppers. But they also contain a tonne of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits too.
Plus, we all know garlic tastes great, but did you know that adding it to your diet helps to fight against sickness, particularly the common cold?
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED PEPPER AND GARLIC BRUSCHETTA WITH TOMATOES
- Heat the oven to 200 C, 180 C fan, 400 F, gas 6. Place the whole peppers in a roasting tin, wrap the garlic bulb in foil and roast with the peppers for around 40 minutes, until the peppers are very soft and slightly blackened. Remove from the oven, put the peppers in a bowl, cover with cling-film and leave to steam for 10 minutes. This will allow you to remove the skins easily.
- Once the peppers have cooled enough to handle, remove from the bowl and gently peel away the skins, the tops and the seeds from the inside. Tear the flesh into strips and set aside.
- Remove the garlic from the foil and squeeze the cloves out from their skins – they should be soft and golden. Spread one on to each slice of toast, then lay the cherry tomato slices on top, followed by strips of pepper and finally some basil leaves, seasoning and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with the tapenade on the side to dip into.
- 3 red or yellow peppers
- 1 bulb garlic
- 8 slices ciabatta, toasted
- 16 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- basil leaves
- olive oil, to drizzle
- black olive tapenade, to serve
Is your favorite company supporting International Women’s Day?
Find out which companies are supporting International Women’s Day
By Laura Harman •
Prince Harry and Prince William will reunite to unveil a statue of Princess Diana this summer
Prince Harry considers the special event a 'priority' amidst family tensions surrounding his royal withdrawal
By Emma Dooney •
How much were Prince Harry and Meghan Markle paid for their Oprah interview?
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have made some shocking revelations
By Emma Dooney •