This delicious salad makes a great healthy lunch recipe, thanks to the fact that it’s packed with fresh veg.
The creaminess of the goat’s cheese and the sharpness of the mustard dressing are the perfect combination, so you’ll be revisiting this courgette recipe over and over again.
- 3 carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 courgettes, cut into 3 strips lengthways
- 3 peppers - red and yellow, cut in half and deseeded
- 1 aubergine, cut into chunks
- 4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 500g (1lb 2oz) Puy lentils, rinsed under cold water
- 250ml (9fl oz) white wine
- 750ml (1¼ pt) chicken stock
- For the dressing
- 100ml (4fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
- 3tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- juice ½ lemon
- 6 basil leaves, torn plus extra to garnish
- 300g (10oz) soft goats' cheese
Preheat the oven to 220 C, 200 C fan, 425 F, gas 7. Mix the carrots and courgettes on a baking tray and the peppers and aubergine on another. Drizzle over the oil, salt and black pepper. Bake the carrot/courgette tray first for 10 minutes, then add the other tray. Roast for about 20 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove from the oven to cool.
Place the rinsed lentils in a saucepan with the wine and chicken stock, bring to the boil and cook for 15 to 18 minutes until tender but still firm. Drain and leave to cool.
Mix together the dressing ingredients. When the peppers are cool, peel off the charred skin and tear into strips. Mix together the lentils, roasted veg and dressing. Arrange on a platter, spoon on the soft cheese and scatter over the basil leaves to serve.
Top Tip for making Puy Lentil Salad with Roasted Vegetables and Goats’ Cheese
Replace the goats’ cheese with fried halloumi or chunks of feta cheese. Cook the lentils, roast the veg and make the dressing the day before, but store them separately in the fridge.