Heat the oil in a large sauté pan and cook the onion until just soft. Meanwhile, cover the porcini with hot water and leave to soak for 15 minutes. Add the button and chestnut mushrooms to the onion and sauté on a high heat for a few minutes. Drain the porcini, reserving the liquid, and add them to the rest of the mushrooms. Add the chestnuts and thyme and mix together. Season well.
Add the cider and 150ml (¼pt) soaking liquid from the porcini, bring to the boil then simmer gently for 15 minutes. Add the cream; remove from the heat to cool. This filling will keep for 2 days in the fridge.
- When the filling is cool, divide the mix between 2 dishes. Cut out 2 circles of pastry, each 1cm (½in) larger than the dish. Brush the outer edge with egg yolk and place the pastry on it. Glaze the top with the egg yolk, refrigerate for 5 minutes or up to overnight. Heat the oven to 200 C, 180 C fan, 400 F, gas 6 and bake for 15 minutes, until the pastry is browned and risen.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, thickly sliced
- 25g (1oz) dried porcini mushrooms
- 125g (4½oz) button mushrooms
- 125g (4½oz) chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 225g (8oz) chestnuts, sliced
- 300ml (½pt) dry cider
- 2tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 4tbsp double cream
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- 150g (5oz) all-butter puff pastry
Top Tip for making Chestnut, Mushroom and Cider Pie
You could also serve this pie without the pastry, using a slice of goats' cheese instead. Just pop under the grill for a few minutes
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks •
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks •
Friands with gooseberry and hazelnut
These friands with gooseberry and hazelnut make the most of the fruit's short season
By Samuel Goldsmith •
The surprising thing Carole Middleton and Meghan Markle have in common revealed
Carole Middleton and Meghan Markle share a very similar attitude when it comes to one important subject
By Emma Dooney •
Princess Diana once 'boldly confronted' Camilla to 'demand her husband back'
Princess Diana confronted Camilla at a party to 'demand her husband back' during her and Prince Charles' marriage
By Caitlin Elliott •
Prince Harry awkwardly questioned about his sex life— 'Royalty doesn't have sex?'
Prince Harry's awkward response when questioned about his sex life and the rumors what other members of the royal family do in the bedroom
By Laura Harman •