The best engagement gifts to celebrate couples in 2022
From the traditional, to the unusual and unexpected, these are the best engagement gifts for every type of couple in 2022
- (opens in new tab)
- (opens in new tab)
- (opens in new tab)
- Sign up to W&H Newsletter Newsletter
To help you choose the best engagement gifts, from the traditional to the unusual and unexpected, we've enlisted the help of wedding etiquette and engagement gift buying experts to curate our list of ideas below.
Engagement gifts can be tricky to choose because unlike finding the best wedding gifts, there's no gift list or wedding registry for you to select from and it's also difficult to know what the etiquette is for buying an engagement gift.
How much do you spend? Do you buy an engagement gift and then a wedding present for the couple later down the line? We've answered these questions and more in our FAQs section at the bottom.
Choose thoughtful engagement gifts that any newly engaged couple will love, with a little bit of help and advice from the experts and our pick of the best engagement gifts below.
The best engagement gifts to buy in 2022
Where to find the best engagement gifts in the US
Simply want to know where you can find the best engagement gifts in the US? Check out these vendors...
- Amazon (opens in new tab): The ubiquitous online store has everything from home goods to sentimental effects (and everything in between)
- Cameo (opens in new tab): A video greeting from a celebrity is an unforgettable engagement gift
- Cratejoy (opens in new tab): Monthly subscriptions will give the couple something to look forward to
- Harry & David (opens in new tab): Foodie couples will enjoy the gift of gourmet treats
- Macy's (opens in new tab): Find deals on gifts from top brands such as Kate Spade, Lenox, and more
- Uncommon Goods (opens in new tab): Uncommon couples will appreciate gifts from this retailer
Our pick of the best engagement gifts in the US
1. Set of 2 Custom Our City Glasses: View at Uncommon Goods (opens in new tab)
RRP: $50 | Delivery: 4 weeks after proof approval | Refundable? Unclear
Whether it's their hometown or the city where they first met, these customized city glasses will serve as a reminder of where the magic first happened (or currently happens) for the lucky couple. Choose from 10 international cities, from Philadelphia to Paris. You can also add the names of the couple plus a meaningful date (like the day they got engaged).
- View Set of 2 Custom Our City Glasses at Uncommon Goods (opens in new tab)
2. Wedding Planner & Organizer: View at Amazon (opens in new tab)
RRP: $33.99 | Delivery: 1 to 5 days | Refundable? 30-day money-back guarantee
Wedding planning can be overwhelming, especially for the unorganized. Help your soon-to-be-married friends keep everything in order with this wedding planner. This 132-page book has an 18-month countdown calendar plus loads of tips, recommendations, and etiquette pointers. If you need a little extra convincing, nearly 90% of the 6,000-plus Amazon reviews are a perfect 5 stars.
- View Wedding Planner & Organizer at Amazon (opens in new tab)
3. Wedding Picnic Basket with Wine: View at Harry & David (opens in new tab)
RRP: $94.99 | Delivery: 4 to 7 days| Refundable? Yes
Help the happy couple raise a toast to their future together with this wedding picnic set, which comes with a bottle of Harry & David 2020 Pinot Gris. One of the best gifts for couples who are avid foodies, it includes gourmet goodies such as Thuringer summer sausage, Royal Verano Pears, baklava, and much more packed into a chipwood picnic basket.
- View Wedding Picnic Basket with Wine at Harry & David (opens in new tab)
4. Engagement Countdown Plaque: View at Etsy (opens in new tab)
RRP: $13.06 | Delivery: Up to 5 weeks | Refundable? 30-day return window
If the couple in question has a long engagement period ahead, help them pass the time with this wooden countdown plaque. It features the couple's surname and comes with a piece of chalk so they can update the countdown every day. Note that the 'Mr & Mrs' can be adapted to suit same-sex couples.
- View Engagement Countdown Plaque at Etsy (opens in new tab)
5. Lenox True Love 2-Piece Dessert Set: View at Macy's (opens in new tab)
RRP: $52.99 | Delivery: 2 to 6 business days | Refundable? 90-day return window
The future newlyweds can serve each other a slice of their wedding cake with this 2-piece set from Lenox. It comes with a silver-plated knife and cake server, each adorned with interlocking hearts. The couple can also use this set to serve their future wedding anniversary cakes to themselves and their loved ones during those celebrations.
- View the Lenox True Love 2-Piece Dessert Set at Macy's (opens in new tab)
6. Do One Thing Every Day Together: A Journal: View at Amazon (opens in new tab)
RRP: $11.66 | Delivery: 1 to 5 business days | Refundable? 30-day money-back guarantee
This journal will help keep things fresh between the couple, as it'll allow them to delve deeper into their relationship (and one other). Each page features a prompt or a question for both parties to respond to, then they can compare and contrast their answers. It's an intimate, enlightening daily exercise that'll help the future newlyweds better understand one another and strengthen their bond.
- View Do One Thing Every Day Together: A Journal at Amazon (opens in new tab)
7. Kate Spade New York Rosy Glow Double Invitation Frame: View at Bloomingdale's (opens in new tab)
RRP: $130 | Delivery: In-store pickup or shipping in 1 to 5 business days | Refundable: 90-day return window
This 9x12" frame is a lovely way for a couple to commemorate this special time in their lives. It features rose gold accents plus two slots: one for a wedding or engagement photo plus one for their wedding invitation. Whether it's hung in a living room, bedroom, or home office, this gorgeous frame will make any space extra special.
- View Kate Spade New York Rosy Glow Double Invitation Frame at Bloomingdale's (opens in new tab)
8. Cameo Video Greeting: View at Cameo (opens in new tab)
RRP: From $2 | Delivery: 1 to 7 days | Refundable: Typically not
If the couple you're shopping for is a huge fan of movies, music, reality TV, or pro sports, consider getting a personalized Cameo video greeting. With thousands of celebrities to choose from, you're likely to find and ask their favorite personality to send their good wishes to the soon-to-be-married couple. For an extra-special touch, request a Cameo Video Phone Call in which the couple's favorite celeb can join them live at their engagement party or another pre-wedding event.
- View Cameo Video Greeting at Cameo (opens in new tab)
9. The Adults & Crafts Crate Subscription: View at Cratejoy (opens in new tab)
RRP: From $31/month | Delivery: Once a month | Refundable: Cancel at any time
Here's a fun way to introduce the future married couple to a new hobby they can enjoy together. Each Adults & Crafts Crate contains all of the materials required for the month's featured project, which can range from woodworking to clockmaking. Opt to have the couple share a box, or purchase two subscriptions so each person can work on their own masterpiece.
- View The Adults & Crafts Crate Subscription at Cratejoy (opens in new tab)
10. Personalized Engagement Wine Glasses: View at Etsy (opens in new tab)
RRP: $19.95 | Delivery: 3 to 5 business days; delays during peak seasons | Refundable: Returns accepted
Could this engagement gift be any more fitting for the couple who likes wine and the TV show Friends? Simply provide the names of the couple plus the date they got engaged and they'll be emblazoned on the glasses in a Friends-inspired font. These can also be ordered as a pair of pilsner beer glasses, or as a set of one beer and wine glass each.
- View Personalized Engagement Wine Glasses at Etsy (opens in new tab)
11. Heirloom Custom Video Book: View at Uncommon Goods (opens in new tab)
RRP: From $49 | Delivery: 3 to 5 business days | Refundable: No
Here's a high-tech take on a photo album or scrapbook. With an Heirloom Custom Video Book, you can add 10 to 20 minutes of video featuring the happy couple that they can view at any time — no Wi-Fi or outstanding equipment needed. The video can play for up to an hour on a single charge (a USB charging cable is included). They can have it on hand at their wedding ceremony as a nice tribute to the memories they've shared before joining together as one in marriage.
- View Heirloom Custom Video Book at Uncommon Goods (opens in new tab)
12. Airbnb Gift Card: View at Airbnb (opens in new tab)
RRP: From $25 | Delivery: Instant | Refundable: No
Whether the happy couple plans to honeymoon at one of the best European islands or head somewhere a bit closer to home, an Airbnb gift card will go a long way in helping them save money on lodging. There's no pressure for them to travel right away, either — Airbnb gift cards never expire so they can go at their leisure.
- View Airbnb Gift Card at Airbnb (opens in new tab)
13. Babysitting Coupon Voucher: View at Etsy (opens in new tab)
RRP: $5 | Delivery: Instant | Refundable: No
If the couple has a young kid or few, this is a very simple and affordable way to promise them a date night. You'll be able to customize this babysitting voucher with whatever you want it to say, then download it immediately. You can print out as many of these vouchers as you'd like so you can grant the lucky couple multiple nights of child-free fun. Perhaps pair a few of these vouchers with a gift card to a favorite restaurant or hangout spot.
- View Babysitting Coupon Voucher at Etsy (opens in new tab)
14. Bulb-of-the-Month Club: View at Harry & David (opens in new tab)
RRP: From $99.99 for 3 months | Delivery: Once a month | Refundable: Cancel at any time
Harry & David is more than gourmet goodies. They also have a monthly subscription service for pre-planted flower bulbs. The soon-to-be-newlyweds can liven up their living space with daffodils, lillies, tulips, and much more. They'll receive a decorative planter plus a 7-inch liner with their first order, then a grow pot every month thereafter. This would also make a fantastic gift for gardeners.
- View Bulb-of-the-Month Club at Harry & David (opens in new tab)
15. Voluspa Crisp Champagne Classic Candle: View at Nordstrom (opens in new tab)
RRP: $30 | Delivery: In-store pickup or shipping in 3 to 5 days | Refundable? Yes
Champagne is a classic engagement gift idea, but whether you can't shell out big money for bubbly or the couple doesn't partake in alcohol, this scented candle will be the perfect compromise. It has top notes of citrus, apple, white peach, and strawberry. Layered beneath are notes of sparkling champagne, effervescent rose, sugared vanilla bean, and weathered oak barrel.
- View Voluspa Crisp Champagne Classic Candle at Nordstrom (opens in new tab)
16. Amazon eGift Card: View at Amazon (opens in new tab)
RRP: From $5 | Delivery: Immediate | Refundable: No
When in doubt, say it with a gift card. You can seldom go wrong with an Amazon gift card, as the ubiquitous online retailer has just about anything a couple could need. This is an ideal option if you don't know the recipients all too well or are absolutely stumped on what to get the couple who seemingly have everything.
- View Amazon eGift Card at Amazon (opens in new tab)
Where to find the best engagement gifts in the UK
- Amazon: Wide range of tech gifts, cookbooks, DIY kits, date ideas, and more (opens in new tab)
- Anthropologie UK: Find trinkets, unusual homeware, accessories and quirky gifts (opens in new tab)
- Etsy: Personalised and customisable gifts from independent sellers (opens in new tab)
- Majestic: Mix and match top quality wines and get great discounts (opens in new tab)
- Not On The Highstreet: Bespoke and personalised gifts for independent sellers (opens in new tab)
- Oliver Bonas: Beautiful homeware gifts, fashion and beauty buys (opens in new tab)
- Selfridges: Best destination for top quality engagement gifts from luxury brands (opens in new tab)
- The White Company: Score premier bedding, pillows, and home gifts (opens in new tab)
- Virgin Experience Days: Explore a variety of getaways, day experiences, and more (opens in new tab)
Our pick of the best engagement gifts in the UK
1. All You Need Is Love Vintage Frame: View at NotOnTheHighstreet (opens in new tab)
RRP: £99 | Delivery: 3-5 days | Refundable: 28 days
An unusual engagement gift but one that is both thoughtful and memorable, these striking framed prints by company Vintage Playing Cards come in a variety of different phrases and quotes. The prints can also be personalised, for example 'Mr & Mrs Jones', to mark the next step the newly engaged couple will be taking. We personally love this framed print, featuring a classic lyric by The Beatles, which not only would make a lovely addition to any home but could also be used as a quirky decoration at the wedding venue on the day of the nuptials, too.
- View Vintage Frame at NOTHS (opens in new tab)
2. Paris – Portrait of a City: View at Amazon (opens in new tab)
RRP: £30 | Delivery: Next Day | Refundable: 30 days
If you know a couple who have just got engaged in a magical destination somewhere, why not buy them a book of photography from their engagement location? Something a little different from the map prints and engagement coordinate posters that have become popular in recent years, a stunning book of photography focusing on the location of the proposal will be a sweet and chic reminder of that special destination whenever they see it sitting proudly on their bookshelf or coffee table. This book celebrating the beauty, romance, and poetry of Paris through photographs also includes an extensive appendix of some 100 books, movies, and records inspired by the city of lights – perfect for a couple with a Parisian engagement love story.
- View Paris - Portrait of a City at Amazon (opens in new tab)
3. Mixed Wine Case: View at Majestic (opens in new tab)
RRP: £43 | Delivery: 2-7 days | Refundable: Only if you receive an unsatisfactory bottle
Treat the newly engaged couple to the ultimate 'cheers' with a mixed case of wine from reliable wine retailer Majestic.
This case is guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser and something both of the couple will enjoy as it's made up of 6 of Majestic's bestselling wines. The couple can use the case as a mini wine tasting experience too, and they may just find their new favourite wine to serve during their wedding breakfast in the process.
Majestic also sell low alcohol wines and have some of the best prosecco and champagne deals too if you're looking to gift a bottle of fizz.
- View Mixed Wine Case at Majestic (opens in new tab)
4. Photo print: View at Papier (opens in new tab)
RRP: £48 | Delivery: 7 days | Refundable: Only if damaged
Celebrate an engagement with a gift for couples that they will really appreciate. Choose a photo of the couple they will love and have it printed in high quality and beautifully framed as a keepsake for their home. Delivered in a mounted, handmade wooden frame, this sentimental and thoughtful engagement gift will be ready to hang on the newly engaged couple's wall – when they have decided on the perfect spot for it!
- View framed photo at Papier (opens in new tab)
5. Personalised Couple Photo Playing Cards: View at Etsy (opens in new tab)
RRP: £23 | Delivery: 3-5 days | Refundable: No
A small but sentimental gift for the couple that always packs a deck of cards for their holidays and won't do a weekend away without them. Both the cards and travel tin are customised with a photo of your choice, creating a sweet yet practical keepsake that can be used for years to come.
- View personalised playing cards at Etsy (opens in new tab)
6. Rumi, Selected Poems: View at Folio Society (opens in new tab)
RRP: £44.95 | Delivery: up to 7 days | Refundable: Within 4 weeks
"May this marriage be full of laughter, our every day a day in paradise. May this marriage be a sign of compassion, a seal of happiness here and hereafter." Rumi's poetry is loved the world over for his inspiring words reflecting on life, love and matters of the soul. His verses are revered as masterpieces of Persian literature and often quoted, printed or posted on social media by those who find his words still resonate today. What better gift for a newly engaged couple than a beautifully bound book full of poems by the visionary thinker, providing words of wisdom and maybe even some inspiration for wedding ceremony readings later down the line.
- View Rumi, Selected Poems at Folio Society (opens in new tab)
7. Wedding planner notebook: Sloane Stationary (opens in new tab)
RRP: £45 | Delivery: 5-7 days | Refundable: Within 14 days
Ticking off two of the four bridal must-haves, this new and blue notebook is the perfect piece of stationary to start any bride-to-be or husband-in-waiting's road to wedding planning. Leave it plain or personalise with a name or initials up to 15 characters in the bottom right corner for the ultimate personal touch. A stylish way to store memories, jot down ideas and collect notes together ahead of the nuptials.
- View wedding planner notebook at Sloane Stationary (opens in new tab)
8. Custom address stamp: View at Etsy (opens in new tab)
RRP: £22 | Delivery: up to 7 days | Refundable: No
Both a personal and a practical engagement gift, this bespoke address stamp will come in handy when the couple need to include return address envelopes in their wedding invites. A stylish and useful addition to anyone's stationery collection, you can choose between over 100 different fonts and between 9 different illustrations so your lucky recipients can get stamping thank you cards and notes straight away.
- View Custom address stamp at Etsy (opens in new tab)
9. Spa Days for Two: View at Virgin Experience Days (opens in new tab)
RRP: from £90 | Delivery: Instant | Refundable: No
For the person getting down on one knee, getting the proposal out of the way might mean that the stressful part is over, but any married couple knows that planning a wedding brings with it a whole host of nerve wracking moments – so they're not out of the woods yet! Buy the newly engaged couple a spa day for two, which will allow them to choose from a carefully curated list of spa hotels and day spas, to book an experience that is perfect for them. Whether it's a romantic night away at one of the best spa hotels in London to celebrate their engagement or a weekend at one of the best spas breaks in the UK in the future - give them the chance to relax when wedding planning gets a little bit too much and they need a break!
- View Spa Days for Two at Virgin Experience Days (opens in new tab)
10. Personalised bottle of champagne: View at Selfridges (opens in new tab)
RRP: from £59.99 | Delivery: 3-5 days| Refundable: 28 day returns policy
Nothing says celebration like a bottle of champagne and when it comes to fizz Moët & Chandon is a classic and one of the best. For a personalised engagement gift that will show the couple you care even if you can't be with them to celebrate, why not send a bottle of bubbly in a personalised Moët box. Customise your engagement gift with the couple's names, a nod to the 'Future Mr & Mrs' or a simple 'Congratulations'.
- View personalised bottle of champagne at Selfridges (opens in new tab)
11. Waterford Elegance Crystal Champagne Coupe Glasses: View at Selfridges (opens in new tab)
RRP: from £65 | Delivery: Next day delivery| Refundable: 28 day returns policy
The champagne coupe is 2022's take on the classic champagne flute, bringing back the chic glassware style that first became fashionable in France in the 1700s. Champagne glasses are a must for any newly engaged couple – how else will they sip their congratulatory fizz and toast to their new future together? And these coupe style glasses are as fun and fancy gift idea.
- Waterford Elegance Crystal Champagne Coupe Glasses at Selfridges (opens in new tab)
12. Flower subscription: View at Bloom&Wild (opens in new tab)
RRP: From £20 per bouquet | Delivery: Nominated day delivery | Refundable: No
Sending a bunch of flowers to people when they've just got engaged is lovely, but everyone does it. The newly engaged couple's home will look like a lovely florist for a few weeks and then the bunches and bouquets will be gone. Have the joy last a little longer and give a gift that keeps on giving (literally) by signing the newly engaged couple up to a flower subscription with one of the best flower delivery services. Pre-pay for three, six or 12 months worth of flowers to be delivered to their door and they'll get to enjoy beautiful bouquets long after they've stopped displaying their engagement cards.
- View flower subscription at Bloom&Wild (opens in new tab)
13. Cake cutting set: View at Etsy (opens in new tab)
RRP: £60 | Delivery: 7-10 days | Refundable: No
This cake serving set consists of two parts, a cake knife and a server, in a stylish matt gold finish. Both a practical and a thoughtful engagement gift for any betrothed couple, this chic set is a special present that can be saved ready for the big day but can then be used for years to come afterwards.
- View cake cutting set at Etsy (opens in new tab)
14. Personalised engagement bauble: View at NOTHS (opens in new tab)
RRP: £17 | Delivery: 3-5 days | Refundable: No
For a Christmas engagement there's no present more perfect to mark the moment and celebrate the special date than a festive tree decoration personalised for the couple. Choose from seven different ribbon colours and add both the couple's names and the year they got engaged to this delicate glass bauble.
- View personalised engagement bauble at NOTHS (opens in new tab)
15. Grow your own confetti seeds: View at Etsy (opens in new tab)
RRP: £5 | Delivery: 2-5 days | Refundable: Yes
Sometimes the most sentimental of gifts come in the smallest packages. When planted, this seed mix will eventually grow cornflowers which can then be cut and enjoyed in a vase before being dried to make natural flower petal confetti for the happy couple's wedding day. Small and light enough to slip in an engagement card and send through the post, this is the perfect, little, thoughtful engagement present.
- View Grow your own confetti seeds at Etsy (opens in new tab)
16. Guest book: View at Selfridges (opens in new tab)
RRP: £35 | Delivery: Next day delivery| Refundable: 28 day returns policy
A practical engagement gift that will come into its own when the wedding day rolls around, this gorgeous guest book designed by Swedish brand Printworks is bound and filled with 100 high-quality, blank paper pages. The perfect place to scribble down heartfelt messages on a special occasion.
- View guest book at Selfridges (opens in new tab)
Engagement gift FAQs
What do you give as engagement gifts and how do they differ from a wedding present?
When it comes to finding the perfect engagement gift, it's the thought that counts.
"Engagement gifts are generally more personal and less costly than a wedding present," explains Charlotte Ricard-Quesada, Wedding Planner and Founder of La Fête (opens in new tab).
"Wedding gifts are generally based on a list created by the couple with their home or honeymoon in mind.
"Therefore you are much more likely to find that wedding presents are bigger, practical and more expensive gifts that will last a long time. Engagement presents are often bought with less notice. They represent a small gesture in anticipation of the wedding itself."
"I always think that a lovely picture frame, a flower subscription, spa weekend, bespoke illustration, or something along those lines is a lovely detail," suggests Charlotte.
"Always use the rule that this should be something that the couple would not necessarily think of buying for themselves."
Is an engagement gift necessary?
An engagement gift isn't necessarily expected, but it's a thoughtful gesture if you wish to extend your best wishes to the couple.
If the couple (or their friends and family) will be hosting an engagement party, a gift is typically given then. However, JoAnn Moore (opens in new tab), a Master Wedding Planner with over 30 years of experience in coordinating full-service luxury weddings, events, and honeymoons. recommends asking the host of the party if a gift is appropriate at all.
While an individual engagement gift might not be required, Moore says it's a good idea to "ask the host of the party if a group gift is going to be purchased." For example, this could be a donation towards the couple's future honeymoon or a down payment for a home.
Alternatively, Moore says, "Ask the host of the party if gifts to the couple will be part of a 'medley or collection' of a particular type of gifts. Examples [include] wine to add to their collection, [or] barware such as ice buckets or glassware for future entertaining."
What is an appropriate amount to spend on an engagement gift?
Moore says the ideal price range for an engagement gift is "anywhere from $20 to $100." Of course, if you're a family member or close friend, it's natural to skew higher. But no matter what, Moore says, "The larger gift should be given at the wedding."
Can you give cash or gift cards as an engagement present?
If you're concerned that a gift card or cash might seem too impersonal or lazy, rest assured that won't be the case. In fact, Moore says it'll even be welcomed by most couples.
"I like when guests provide the couple with gift cards for 'date night' to keep the romance going during wedding planning, which we all know is a stressful time for couples," says Moore, "Gift cards to movies, shows or their favorite restaurant are very thoughtful as well."
Cash is also a good idea as it'll allow the couple to put it towards whatever they need. This is especially true if they have donations set up for their honeymoon, a down payment on a large item of furniture, or another large purchase they'd like help in funding.
Alison Barretta is a freelance writer and editor from Philadelphia, USA who specializes in home and lifestyle, skincare, and tech. For the last 15 years, she has been sharing buying advice and product reviews with curious, cost-conscious shoppers from around the world. Alison's work has been featured in Forbes, Business Insider, Tom's Guide, TechRadar, and Creative Bloq.
When she's not reviewing mattresses or waxing poetic about her favorite face cleansers, Alison can be found teaching/training in martial arts, streaming underrated TV series, trying new recipes, and singing karaoke until her throat is hoarse.
Kate Middleton and Prince William's concerns over Prince Louis becoming 'lost soul' as 'double spare'
Kate Middleton and Prince William are said to be keen to make sure Prince Louis doesn't become a 'lost soul'
By Caitlin Elliott • Published
Princess Margaret's granddaughter dresses to impress in first modeling shoot and we can't help but notice she's inherited her grandma's style
Princess Margaret's granddaughter's modeling debut wows royal fans as the youngster celebrates her 21st birthday with a glam cover shoot
By Aoife Hanna • Published