The quest for happiness is an ongoing one. And whether we’re flicking through the latest self-help tome or logging into a mindfulness app, achieving this feeling is often one of our ultimate goals.
And the good news is, is that there’s an affordable course that could help you along this journey, and it’s backed by none other than the Dalai Lama himself – yes really.
Exploring What Matters is an eight-week, science-based course run by charity Action for Happiness, and it takes place across a number of locations across the UK.
It gives participants the chance to learn from the experts through videos, mindfulness exercises and a handbook full of resources, as well as outlining small actions you can take each week to create happiness for yourself and those around you.
And all this while getting the opportunity to talk and share what really does matter in life with likeminded people.
Each of the eight sessions is structured in the following way:
- Tuning in: simple activities that are great for wellbeing (e.g. mindfulness exercise)
- Expert view: an inspiring 15 minute TED-style video/talk from a leading expert (including Richard Layard, Ed Diener, Jon Kabat-Zinn, Karen Amrstrong, Brene Brown, Shawn Achor)
- Personal view: a chance for people to reflect on their own experiences
- Did you know?: fascinating and surprising research findings relating to the theme
- Group discussion: sharing ideas in groups and listening to each other’s perspectives
- Action ideas: everybody comes away with an action they hope to take as a result
On the course the Dalai Lama, Patron for Action for Happiness, said, “I wholeheartedly support the Exploring What Matters course and hope that many thousands will benefit from it and be inspired to take their own action to create a happier world.”
Here are what some past attendees have had to say about the course:
‘The course has really had a profoundly positive impact on my life”
“It has been so incredible to be surrounded by such interesting people who share my passion for making the world happier”
Would you consider taking the Exploring What Matters Course?
Best Christmas turkey 2021: The woman&home supermarket turkey taste test
Discover our winners from the best Christmas turkey taste test 2021, as judged by woman&home's expert panellists and food editors
By Rosie Bensberg •
Best mince pies 2021: The woman&home taste test
Our favourite mince pies for this year’s festivities. You’re in for a jolly good treat.
By Jessica Ransom •