We would never, ever tell you to chop in an entirely new fringe at home. It's always best to leave drastic hair transformations to the professionals. But what if you already have a fringe, it's growing into your eyes, and you have too little time for a salon trim? Now, that's where we can offer some emergency reprieve.
As the Duchess of Cambridge succumbs to the lure of a flattering, age-defying fringe, we're taking tips on trimming an existing fringe from Marc Trinder, Art Team Director at Charles Worthington Salons. Whether you've got a full fringe, a side fringe or a grown-out fringe like Catherine's, it's possible to tame errant strands and keep it groomed at home when a trip to the hairdressers isn't an option.
How To Trim A Full Fringe
- Never attempt to trim a full fringe when it's wet. Blow dry it as normal first, and ensure you lift as you dry so that it's not too straight.
- Little and often trims are best, so it's advisable to cut no more than a millimeter every week instead of taking off a lot of length in one go.
- Invest in texturising scissors and use them to soften the edge first, before cutting into the length.
- With a full fringe, removing a little weight from straight across can make a huge difference. Do this instead of attempting to alter the shape drastically.
How To Trim A Side Fringe
- Do not cut the sides of your fringe - the section that meets with the rest your lengths. Instead, only ever soften the corner of the shortest part, which is usually the piece beginning to stick into your eye.
- Soften with texturising scissors first, and never cut the fringe straight across. Instead, take shallow nibbles into the very ends, just a few hairs at a time.
How To Trim A Grown-Out Fringe
- The Duchess of Cambridge's fringe can be hard to keep in shape yourself, as it's essentially two side fringes either side of your parting.
- The shortest parts of this fringe - the hair immediately framing the eyes - is the only part you should trim at home.
- Take your scissors and point cut (see illustration for the direction of cutting) very slightly into the tips, taking the hair around the eyes a little shorter than the sides.
Who left The Great British Bake Off tonight and who won star baker?
Who left The Great British Bake Off this week? Spoiler alert! Here's the details if you missed the first episode
By Caitlin Elliott •
22 of the best Christmas markets in Europe and the UK
Get into the spirit of the season by visiting one of the best Christmas markets in Europe
By Helena Cartwright •
Jo Malone Advent Calendar 2021 review—release date, contents, and its value for money
Jo Malone Advent Calendar was a sell-out success last year, and with exclusive can’t buy products and scents, you won’t want to miss out on this year’s treasure chest
By Stephanie Maylor •
Scalp massage for hair growth stimulation—does it really work?
Learn how to give yourself a scalp massage for hair growth stimulation and discover the best scalp health products
By Emma North •
Get smoother, plumper and more hydrated skin with the Optimum Collagen collection by Superdrug
Hydration is the ultimate skin goal—and this is how to achieve it
By Fiona McKim •
Best electric razor for women—our picks for the smoothest, easiest shave
How to find the best electric razor for women looking to get porcelain-smooth skin
By Courtney Leiva •
Gorgeous gray hair color ideas for every shade—from salt and pepper and platinum, to ash and silver
Gray hair color has never been cooler—whether natural or otherwise. Find your perfect hue with our roundup of the best gray hairstyles, and learn how to keep them looking shiny and fresh
By Keeks Reid •
Eyebrow lamination—13 things to know before perming your brows
Eyebrow lamination is the hottest new eyebrow trend to emerge
By Lydia House •
Learn how to apply eye cream to get the most from your routine
Wondering how to apply eye cream for best results? Check out this guide
By Ayesha Muttucumaru •
2021 hair color trends—all the inspiration you need for a fresh hue
Looking for ideas on hair color trends to take to your next salon visit? We asked the experts what their favorite looks are right now
By Lucy Abbersteen •