We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Since the beginning of the week, there speculation has been rife over whether or not Meghan Markle's father, Thomas, would be attending his daughter's wedding on Saturday.
But now, Meghan Markle herself has confirmed that her 73-year-old father will not be attending the big day.
In an unprecedented move, the former actress issued a personal statement, revealing that she hopes he can be “given the space he needs to focus on his health”.
The bride-to-be then reassured fans that she and Harry are still looking forward to “sharing our special day with you on Saturday”.
The full statement read, ‘Sadly, my father will not be attending our wedding. I have always cared for my father and hope he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health.
‘I would like to thank everyone who has offered generous messages of support. Please know how much Harry and I look forward to sharing out special day with you on Saturday.’
Thomas Markle yesterday (Wednesday) had to have major heart surgery, after suffering a heart attack a week ago. The former lighting director confirmed earlier that he was ‘okay’ following the surgery, and is recovering in a Mexico hospital.
The news that Thomas will not be walking his daughter down the aisle comes just days after he suggested that he would love to attend the royal wedding.
He allegedly told TMZ that daughter Meghan had been in touch, to tell him she loved him and was concerned about his health. Thomas went on to say that he didn’t want to miss ‘one of the greatest moments in history’, by not attending the big day.
According to TMZ, he said, “I hate the idea of missing one of the greatest moments in history and walking my daughter down the aisle. Of course I’d walk her down the aisle. This is a historic moment. I’d like to be a part of history.”
But it seems now the decision has been taken out of his hands – and a trip across the Atlantic, from his home in Mexico, will no longer be possible.
Meghan’s father also reportedly suggested that his son, Thomas Markle Jr., had been to blame for his recent heart troubles. Thomas recently penned an open letter to Prince Harry urging him to call off the wedding. He later begged Meghan to invite him to the big day.
Kensington Palace also issued another statement earlier this week asking for ‘respect and understanding’ over the situation.
They said, “This is a deeply personal moment for Ms. Markle in the days before her wedding. She and Prince Harry ask again for understanding and respect to be extended to Mr. Markle in this difficult situation.”
However, despite the fact that her father’s attendance at her wedding is uncertain, Meghan’s other friends and family are slowly flying in to London to celebrate the big day with her.
Her mother, Doria Ragland, has today flown from her Los Angeles home to London, accompanied by a Burberry bag – hinting at what the mother of the bride-to-be could be wearing on the day.
Jessica Mulroney, a bridal stylist who is thought to have helped Meghan plan many aspects of the wedding, was recently photographed arriving at Heathrow airport.
Many of her Suits co-stars, including Gabriel Macht and Sarah Rafferty, have also shared pictures on their social media of their travels to Europe.