Picking out a fabulous dress, finding the perfect hat and daydreaming about catching a glimpse of the Queen - it's fair to say we get a little excited in the run-up to Royal Ascot! But amongst all of the planning is, let's be honest - a little confusion about what is actually acceptable when it comes to dress code. Thankfully, Royal Ascot has released their style guide, which explains exactly what you should be wearing.
The big news on the Ascot scene this season is that jumpsuits are now welcome. Juliet Slot, Commercial Director at Ascot said; "The inclusion of jumpsuits as part of the Royal Enclosure dress code recognises our customers' fashion-forward taste and reflects our awareness of seasonal trends." This is a big fashion move for the Royal Ascot, and we at W&H can't wait to see how the outfits at this years event will change because of it.
So whether you're in the Royal, Queen Anne or Village Enclosure, you can step out in (acceptable) style this year...
- Dresses and skirts should always fall above the knee or longer.
- All straps on tops or dresses have to be at least one inch or greater.
- Jackets and pashminas can also can be worn when layered over tops or dresses
- Trouser suits are ok to wear as long as they are of full length and of matching material.
- A jumpsuit is also permitted, they also has to be full length.
- Hats and headpieces are also a necessity for the royal enclosure. If wearing a headpiece, then make sure that it has a solid base of four inches or more.
- Strapless, off the shoulder, halter neck and spaghetti straps are not permitted and midriffs must be covered.
- Gents in the Royal Enclosure must wear black or grey morning dress.
- A waistcoat and tie is also a necessity, however they can be in other colours.
- Strictly no cravats.
- Finish off your look with a grey or black top hat with shiny black shoes
Hat, £1460, Edwina Ibbotson
Dress, £995, Roksanda
Heels, £140, Reiss
Hat, £495, Jess Collett
Jacket, £735, trousers, £355, both Escada
Top, £179, Boss
Heels, £425, bag £475, Jimmy Choo
Queen Anne & Village Enclosure Ladies
- A hat, fascinator or headpiece should be worn at all times, however there isn't a size guide.
- Strapless or sheer strap dresses and tops are not permitted.
- Like the royal enclosure, jumpsuits and trouser suits are permitted, but must be full length and with a top that adheres to the previous guidelines.
- Gentlemen are required to wear a suit with a shirt and tie
Hat, £595, Awon Golding
Jumpsuit, £450, Shoes, £340, Both Hugo Boss
Suit, £580, Shirt, £109, Tie, £125, Shoes, £450, all Hugo Boss
The best hair straighteners to smooth, style, and care for your hair
The best hair straighteners for every hair type and styling need—from cordless to steam, plus the best for curling hair too
By Fiona McKim •
These are the best exercises to lose belly fat at home
Three of the best exercises to help you tone up!
By Lucy Gornall •
Holly Willoughby's M&S dress is one of the most gorgeous summer frocks we've seen on the high street
Holly Willoughby in summery florals never fails to impress
By Caitlin Elliott •
Princess Diana's power suit: The story behind the photo
Like many of her outfits, Princess Diana's power suits made history and made the royal, a fashion icon
By Lizzie Thomson •
Where to snap up the best of Theresa May's shoes
Theresa May's shoes make a statement with every outfit—here's where you can get them
By Woman and Home •
The best sunglasses for every budget, style and face shape—from Ray-Ban to Mango
Find your perfect pair with our expert round-up of the best sunglasses to shop now
By Charlie Bell •
Victoria Beckham and the Spice Girls have a Pride Month surprise for fans
Victoria Beckham teamed up with the Spice Girls to put together a surprise Pride Month collection for fans
By Rylee Johnston •
Best sandals for women: On-trend styles from brands including Birkenstock, Teva and Zara
We’ve rounded up the best sandals to shop now, so you can spend more time enjoying the sunshine.
By Jess Beech •
Kirstie Allsopp's dresses: Where to buy the property guru's figure-flattering dresses
Kirstie Allsopp's dresses have made her a style icon. Here's the inside scoop on her most-worn brands.
By Emma White •
Vanessa Bryant is upset over a potential leak, a tribute to her late daughter
Pictures of shoes designed by Vanessa Bryant in memory of Gianna have appeared on social media.
By Rylee Johnston •