- 800g (1lb 12oz) lamb mince
- 2tbsp Madras curry powder
- 4tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 large onion, peeled and grated
- zest 2 lemons
- 4tbsp chopped coriander (include the stalks)
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tsp salt
- for the raita
- ½ cucumber
- 250ml (9fl oz) natural yogurt (not Greek)
- 2tbsp mint sauce
To make the burgers, mix the burger ingredients together with your hands and marinate – 30 minutes or up to overnight.
Shape the meat into 6 burgers, then either cook on the barbecue for 20 minutes, turning once, or seal in a hot frying pan for 2 minutes, then cook in a 200C, 180C fan, 400F, gas 6 oven for 15 minutes.
To make the raita, grate the cucumber, sprinkle with salt and leave in a sieve for 10 minutes. Squeeze the cucumber well to remove excess water, then add to the yogurt and mint sauce, and season. Serve the burgers with the raita on the side.
Get ahead. The burgers can be frozen after being shaped but before you cook them. Bring them back to room temperature before cooking.