This tender lamb recipe (opens in new tab) uses lamb neck fillet, which is a really inexpensive cut of lamb that’s really underrated. This recipe uses coriander seeds and paprika to give this tender meat a real kick of flavour that’s great for spicing up your salads.
It makes a really lovely week night dish that’s nice and light, but could also make a wonderful option the next time you’re barbecuing if you switch up the lamb neck fillet for barbecued lamb cutlets.
HOW TO MAKE SPICY LAMB FILLET WITH QUINOA SALAD
- 1tbsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 1tsp paprika
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 900g (2lb) lamb neck fillet
for the salad
- 300g (10oz) quinoa, rinsed
- 2 courgettes, sliced into thin ribbons with a ribbon peeler
- 200g (7oz) mixed tomatoes, chopped
- small bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 lemons, juiced, plus 1tbsp lemon zest, and lemon wedges, to serve
- For the lamb, mix the coriander seeds, paprika and 2tbsp of the oil, rub into the lamb and leave to marinate for 30 minutes or overnight. Heat the oven to 200C, 180C fan, 400F, gas 6. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and brown the lamb on all sides. Place on a baking sheet lined with foil and roast for 20 minutes.
- For the salad, bring the quinoa to the boil with 600ml (1pt) water, then cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until al dente. Allow to cool slightly then add the courgettes, tomatoes, parsley, lemon juice and zest. Season well and mix to combine. Quinoa is quite bland so you may need to add a little extra lemon or pepper. To serve, cut the lamb into slices and serve with the quinoa salad and lemon wedges.
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Lamb Koftas with Green Sauce
Levantine food is very much in fashion right now and these lamb koftas with green sauce are a delicious light dinner
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Lamb steak with aubergine and Romano peppers
By Elisa Roche • Published
Baharat griddled-lamb flatbreads
By Rose Fooks • Published
Chocolate and hazelnut roulade
This chocolate and hazelnut roulade comes with an optional Baileys Irish cream liqueur filling for an extra, festive twist
By Jen Bedloe • Published
This no-bake Baileys cheesecake is so easy to make and perfect for cream liqueur lovers, plus it takes just 40 minutes to prepare
By Jess Meyer • Published
Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline
Serve this rich Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline for a festive dessert that makes a popular alternative to Christmas pudding
By Jen Bedloe • Published
Where is Lucky Hank filmed as the comedy-drama scores a 96 percent Rotten Tomatoes rating
It's time to add comedy TV series Lucy Hank to your must-watch list - here is how to watch it
By Anna Rahmanan • Published
The Queen's 'boring' Christmas dinner favorite revealed by royal chef
The Queen kept things basic when it came to Christmas dinners at Sandringham
By Caitlin Elliott • Last updated
Nigella Lawson reveals the Christmas lunch tradition she has 'never' understood – 'it's madness'
Nigella Lawson shared the controversial opinion during an interview about her upcoming Christmas cooking plans
By Emma Dooney • Published