By Jules Mercer
Our crown roast of lamb is an impressive showstopper you need to make for your next family feast. For our crown roast of lamb we’ve combined the flavours of Persia to create a spicy and tangy twist to your usual lamb roast. The rice is packed full of nuts, seeds and crispy onions which make it not only a great side to this lamb, but also a fabulous base for salads with any leftovers.
How to prepare your crown roast lamb?
It’s actually very simple to prepare, and this recipe is 2 dishes in one as the rice stuffing makes for a delicious side dish.
Where to buy crown roast of lamb?
We brought our show stopping lamb crown from The Ginger Pig, they offer a delivery service in the UK. Lamb crown is also seasonally available from supermarkets and butchers.
How long to cook crown rack of lamb?
A 2kg crown of lamb takes 20 mins in the oven and 20 mins resting. If you prefer lamb well done allow for another 5 mins in the oven. If you have a probe thermometer you can check the temperature after resting, 60C for a medium-rare or 70C for a medium well.
- 1 lamb crown, weighing about 2-2.5kg
- 2tsp z’atar
For the stuffing:
- 50g butter
- pinch saffron
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cardamom pods, lightly bruised
- 1tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- 350g rice, cooked
- 100g pistachios and almonds
- Herbs – parsley, mint and dill
- 3tsp liquid stock
For the dressing:
- 60ml Olive oil
- 2tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 3tbsp crispy onions
- 2tbsp black sesame seeds
- 125g pomegranate seeds
- Pea sprouts, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C, Gas 7. Rub the lamb crown with the z’atar and season well with salt and pepper. Place in the oven for 20-25 mins (20 for rare, 25 for medium)
- For the stuffing: heat the butter with the saffron, cinnamon, cardamom pods, chilli and orange zest. Cook for a few minutes. Stir in the rice, pistachios and almonds, chopped herbs and stock. Mix ingredients for the dressing together and toss through the rice.
- Remove the lamb from the oven and allow to relax for 20 mins, use this time to make the gravy. Before serving, stuff the cavity of the crown with the rice. Serve immediately with pea sprouts and remaining rice.
Top Tip for making Crown of lamb roast
It’s best to rest meat before carving, during this time the meat will continue to cook and the moisture will be absorbed culminating in a more succulent and tender dish.
Time for a purchase: Lady Gaga's makeup artist made a cosmetic storage collection that's practical and adorable
We have our eyes on the brush holders
By Danielle Valente •
Viola Davis' beauty routine is the perfect form of self-care
Viola Davis shared her beauty secrets and how she used it as a form of self-care
By Rylee Johnston •
An update on the release date of the Princess Diana BBC interview doc has been announced, but it's not what you're hoping for
Netflix is postponing its release
By Danielle Valente •