Chocolate Fudge Cake with Salted Milk Chocolate Buttercream
A must for chocoholics, the almonds in this chocolate cake keep it really moist, and the salt in the buttercream offsets the richness perfectly
- 75g (3oz) good quality cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
- 300g (10oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 300g (10oz) golden caster sugar
- 5 large free-range eggs
- 125g (4½oz) self-raising flour
- 125g (4½oz) ground almonds
- 1tsp baking powder
- 200ml (7fl oz) milk
- 250g (9oz) soft butter
- 350g (12oz) sifted icing sugar
- 200g (7oz) milk chocolate, melted
- pinch Maldon salt
- 2 packs Dr. Oetker Select Dark & White Chocolate Thins, to decorate
- 2 x 19cm (7½in) sandwich tins, oiled and bottom-lined
Heat the oven to 180 C, 160 C, 350 F, gas 4. Dust the edges of the oiled cake tins with cocoa, shaking out the excess so you're left with an even coating.
Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then fold in the flour, almonds, cocoa and baking powder with a pinch of salt. Stir in the milk just until smooth, then divide between the tins and bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes. Remove the cakes from the oven, cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then invert on to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the buttercream frosting. Beat the butter and icing sugar together then, when smooth, beat in the melted chocolate, and finally stir in the salt. Set aside.
- When the cakes are cool, spread a layer of the buttercream over the top of one cake, then top with the other and cover the sides and top with the rest of the frosting. Decorate with the chocolate thins and serve. This will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days - bring back to room temperature before serving.