For an Easter cake recipe that will please every time, give this gorgeous rum and raison cake a go.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE RUM AND RAISIN CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 150g (5oz) seedless raisins
- 150ml (1/4pt) rum
- 100g (4oz) plain flour
- 175g (6oz) ground almonds
- 400g (14oz) dark cooking chocolate, around 55 per cent cocoa solids
- 225g (8oz) unsalted butter
- 100ml (4fl oz) warm water
- 6 eggs, separated
- 250g (9oz) sugar
For the chocolate and honey icing
- 200g (7oz) dark cooking chocolate, around 55 per cent cocoa solids
- 80g (31/4oz) unsalted butter
- 2tbsp clear honey
You will need
- a 22cm (83/4in) round tin, oiled and lines with baking parchment
- Soak the raisins in rum overnight. Preheat oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Sift the flour into a bowl, then add the almonds and mix. Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl placed over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure not to let the water touch the bowl. Stir occasionally and, once smooth, stir in the warm water.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and thick. Add the melted chocolate and mix well. Fold in the flour and almonds. Once these are fully incorporated, mix in the rum and raisins. Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, loosen the batter with a spoonful of the egg whites, then fold in the rest. Pour into the tin and bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool completely before removing from the tin.
- To make the icing, place all the ingredients in a bowl and melt together over a pan of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Pour over the middle of the cake and tilt so the icing drizzles over the sides. Decorate with fresh rose buds (wrap the end of the stems with foil) or little chocolate eggs for Easter.
Woman & Home's Vanity Edit: Our favorite launches and products this week
We highlight the latest and greatest beauty heroes on the market, from ultra-thin eyeliners to magnetic mascaras. Here's what's currently in trend.
By Dominique McIntee •
Demi Lovato shares post calling out "transphobic" gender reveal parties
The star reposted the series of nine posts to her Instagram feed earlier this week
By Lucy Abbersteen •
Prince Harry reveals surprising opinion of Netflix show 'The Crown'
The prince has just been interviewed by James Corden for The Late Late Show
By Lucy Abbersteen •