For an Easter cake recipe choice that’s super light thanks to the use of clotted cream over butter, try this tasty lemon and lime drizzle cake this year and your guests will adore it. It's a Spring dessert recipe that the whole family will love.
HOW TO MAKE LEMON AND LIME DRIZZLE CAKE
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar
- 227g tub clotted cream
- zest 1 lemon
- ¼tsp lemon extract
- 200g (7oz) self-raising flour
for the syrup and topping
- juice 1 lime and 1 lemon, plus a little extra lemon juice, for the topping
- 100g (4oz) granulated sugar
- 150g (5oz) icing sugar
- lemon and lime zest, to decorate
you will need
- 20cm (8in) round cake tin, buttered
- Heat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Whisk the eggs and sugar in a large bowl with an electric beater until the mixture is pale and thick.
- Stir the cream until smooth and mix with a pinch of salt, then gently stir into the eggs with the lemon zest and extract. Sift in the flour, fold in gently, spoon into the tin and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until the cake is golden and firm and a skewer inserted into the middle of it comes out clean. Cover with foil if it browns too quickly.
- Make the syrup by mixing the lemon and lime juices with the granulated sugar. Prick the cake all over with a skewer; pour the syrup over. The sugar will form a crunchy topping and the juice will sink into the cake. Decorate with glacé icing made by mixing the icing sugar and a little lemon juice, then sprinkle with zest.
Shoppers say these high-waisted leggings are the softest they've ever owned — and they're now 45% off on Amazon
With over 50,000 reviews, these fan-favorite leggings tout a laundry list of bragging rights — here's why they belong in your closet
By Dominique McIntee •
Michelle Obama’s 'Becoming' has been re-released for a younger audience
Michelle Obama’s 'Becoming' has been re-released with a new lovely message for her younger audience
By Laura Harman •
This Marks & Spencer ribbed loungewear set has shoppers obsessed with its soft and cosy fabric
This M&S cosy loungewear set is perfect for eating chocolate eggs in comfort...
By Selina Maycock •