For a dessert option that’s sure to impress anyone that sees it, why not give this brilliant Easter cake recipe a try this year? It’s full of delicious flavours and a really smooth texture that you’ll just love.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE ALMOND TORTE
- 250g (9oz) butter
- 250g (9oz) dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 free-range eggs
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 85g (31/2oz) self-raising flour
- 75g (3oz) ground almonds
For the filling
- 200ml (7fl oz) double cream
- 85g (31/2oz) dark chocolate, chopped
- 1tbsp brandy
- 60g (21/2oz) almonds, roughly chopped
For the glaze
- 185g (61/2oz) dark chocolate, chopped
- 125g (41/2oz) butter
- 1tbsp golden syrup
You will need
- 2 x 20cm (8in) square cake tins, greased, lined and floured
- Preheat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. For the filling, heat the cream and pour over the chocolate in a bowl. Add the brandy and stir. Chill for 2 hours.
- Melt the butter and chocolate over simmering water. Cool. Beat the eggs and caster sugar until pale and thick. Add the chocolate mixture, then fold in the flour and almonds. Divide between the cake tins and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cooked through. Cool in the tins for 5 minutes then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat the filling until smooth and thick. Spread one layer of the cake with the filling and sprinkle over the chopped almonds. Top with the other cake and leave in the fridge until you are ready to glaze.
- To make the glaze, melt the chocolate, butter and syrup with 1tbsp water until smooth. Cool then pour over the cake and spread with a hot palette knife. Chill until set and decorate.
Fabulously fresh, these cod bruschetta will take you straight to the Italian Riviera!
By Samuel Goldsmith •
Oven-Baked Chicken Breasts with Chorizo and Chickpeas
By Rebecca Smith •
Low alcohol wines so you can enjoy a glass or two without a fuzzy head in the morning
By Woman and Home •
Meghan Markle reveals how her children’s book, The Bench, explores ‘another side of masculinity’ as she gives thanks for bestseller status
Meghan Markle’s book was inspired by Prince Harry and Archie
By Emma Shacklock •
Dawn French shocks fans with a new grey hairstyle—and it's incredibly refreshing
Dawn French is ‘happy’ to be going grey
By Georgia Farquharson •
Sophie Wessex reveals ‘truly upsetting’ moment that left her ‘utterly floored’ in poignant discussion about sexual violence
Sophie Wessex spoke on an experience that "brought her to her knees"
By Caitlin Elliott •