Feel figure fabulous this spring with our need to know guide about how to dress if you have an apple shaped body. Don't just hide away in drab unflattering clothes; give your style a serious shake up. Trust us, you won't only look incredible, but you'll feel amazing too. When it comes to trends comfort comes first, if a certain style doesn't suit you, then avoid it. There's nothing worse than feeling uncomfortable in an outfit. Instead, invest in luxe basics that you can re-wear year after year, and treat the trends as a small update every new season. So whether it's the new must have bag or the ‘it' print parading down the catwalk, just give the trends a small nod with a handful of items.
For the basics, no matter what shape you are, make sure that they are fully flattering for you figure. A key knowledge in what shapes and styles suit you is a must, especially if you have a tricky silhouette, like an apple shaped body. Not to worry though, because have an expert guide of how to do it. So have a browse through our ultimate style guide for an apple shaped body.
- The must have spring throw-over you need in your wardrobe is a long-line sleeveless jacket. It will automatically streamline your centre creating a totally slimmer middle, the dream right? For a contouring effect, pick black.
(from left to right)
- When it comes to jeans, straight or bootcuts are perfect for emphasizing your slim pins, and won't make your entire shape look mis-shaped (avoiding the lollypop stick look). Make sure they have a higher rise and sit comfortably around your middle. A high waist with built in support will give you that extra pinch.
Buy now for £19.50, Marks and Spencer
- The less cling the better when it comes to dresses and tops. A terrific tunis is your shape superhero, whether a top or dress, the free-flowing shape will glide over your tum. Very forgiving on a rounder middle and completely comfortable. Choose breathable cotton for the warmer days ahead (fingers crossed).
(From left to right)
£325, By Malene Birger.
- Avoid horizontal stripes; they will make you look larger rather than smaller. Instead always choose lengthening vertical stripes on your dresses or tops.
Buy now for
£49.95 at United Colors of Benetton
- When it comes to prints, the bigger and more graphic the better. Avoid smaller ones at all costs because they can make you look larger.
Buy now for £40 at Next.
- Know your secret weapon. A wear your own bra body will give you all of the slimming support you need.
Buy now for £32 at Maidenform at Figleaves.
- Up your accessories. Lengthen your torso with a long pendant necklace or skinny scarf. Or look for bags with longer straps and work them cleverly across your body.
- A clever cocoon is the spring coat for you. Easy to wear and a must for an apple shaped body. The loose shape won't cinch around your stomach, and it's still smart enough to wear for a special occasion. We say let this coat do all of the talking, and pick a super fancy one that will last for years to come.
Buy now for £455 at Weekend Max Mara at Harrods
These iconic makeup looks from every decade still resonate today
In recent history, some iconic makeup looks have lasted the test of time and still complement any complexion
By Emma Stoddart •
Meghan Markle is one of the world's most famous faces—this is her journey from child campaigner to Duchess of Sussex
Meghan Markle made her name before marrying Prince Harry—and has never stopped standing up for what she believes in
By Georgia Farquharson •
The best his and hers Christmas pyjamas to kick off the festive season
Snuggle up in the best his and hers Christmas pyjamas for couples who are ready for cozy nights in
By Joely Chilcott •
How to measure bra size for the perfect fit every time
Want to learn how to measure bra size? Our expert-approved advice will get you up to speed in no time.
By Jess Beech •
How to dress for a hourglass body shape, according to our experts
Dressing a hourglass body shape is simple—with a variety of silhouettes and styles readily available. Here's everything you need to know.
By Jess Beech •
Kate Middleton stuns in chiffon Self-Portrait dress at very personal event
Kate Middleton often wears the difficult-to-pull-off shade and she's really out done herself at this important event
By Aoife Hanna •
Kate Middleton's puffer jacket is the perfect cozy fall cover-up and on sale now for under $70!
Kate Middleton's puffer jacket is this fall's must-have style update
By Emma Dooney •
The best backpacks for working women—make your commute easier (and prettier!)
The best backpacks for working women are practical, comfortable, and fabulous. Here are the 8 brands to know...
By Jess Beech •
How to keep tights up—this simple hack will stop hoisery falling down
Learn how to stop tights from falling down with this 5-second trick
By Anna Duff •
The best plus size leggings for every occasion, from working out to going out
We’ve found the best plus size leggings to suit every occasion and style, so if you're looking for an effortless outfit solution for curvy figures—we've got you!
By Mollie Quirk •