If, thanks to festive get-togethers, you can't face another meaty dinner on the big day, choose this delicious veggie option
- 4 beetroot, peeled and cut into sixths
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into sixths
- olive oil, for roasting
- few sprigs rosemary
- 375g (13oz) ready-rolled all-butter shortcrust pastry (we used Dorset Organic)
- 185g (6½oz) crème fraîche
- 200g (7oz) goats' cheese round, sliced into 6
- 6 x 7.5cm (3in) fluted loose-based flan tins, or a 20-23cm (8-9in) large tin, and baking beans
If you’re looking something special for a get together but you want to avoid serving meat, give this wonderful butternut squash recipe with goats’ cheese and beetroot a go and everyone will be super satisfied. It’s really easy to put together and tastes great, what more could you want?
HOW TO MAKE BEETROOT, BUTTERNUT AND GOAT'S CHEESE TARTLETS
- Heat the oven to 200 C, 180 C fan, 400 F, gas 6. Place the beetroot, squash and onions in a roasting tin, toss with the oil, add the rosemary and season well. Cook for around 30 minutes, until soft and caramelised. Meanwhile, use the pastry to line the flan tins, leaving an overhang of pastry, then blind bake for around 15 minutes. When they're cooked through and sandy coloured, trim off the excess pastry with a serrated knife to form a blunt edge.
- Turn the oven down to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Fill the tart cases with the roasted vegetables, then season. Top each with 2tbsp crème fraîche and a slice of goats' cheese, season again then return to the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the cheese starts to become golden and bubbly. Serve with a salad of bitter leaves and tomatoes.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up
butternut squash Recipes
More Beetroot Recipes
More Tart Recipes