The expert home blow dry tips that will change how you dry your hair

The home blow dry has never been so easy

hair dryer brushes and styling tools
(Image credit: Getty images)

If you could wave a magic wand and give yourself one beauty skill, would creating a salon-standard home blow dry be it? It’s certainly nudging the top of the list for me, along with perfectly symmetrical eyeliner flicks. Of course, knowing the best hair dryer for your hair and styling needs will make things eminently easier, as will working your way through a step-by-step guide that sets out how to blow dry hair to a salon standard at home. 

But, a bit like nailing your driving theory, then terrifying the practical examiner so much they have to abort the practical test halfway through (ahem), it’s one thing knowing how to do something and quite another actually carrying it out well. 

Still, there is really nothing like that feeling of stepping out of a salon all swishy and fabulous after a good styling session. And while weekly blow dries may be a reality for some ultra-fabulous individuals, the rest of us make do with our own fair hands the majority of the time. So, it pays to try to pick up a few tips – and where better to get said tips than pro hair stylists who can create a bouncy Duchess of Cambridge-style mane as easily as the rest of us tie our shoelaces? 

I’ve consulted some of the industry’s top experts to gather eight little nuggets of hair wisdom that, put into practice, should make your home blow dry an altogether easier process with lasting, salon-quality results. 

Want to revive fallen roots or know the finishing product the pros can’t get enough of? Read on and prepare to swish-swish in style! 

1. Don’t brush too soon

“Blow dry hair upside down until 90% dry, which will give the root a lift. For the remaining 10%, grab a round vented brush of choice and gently wrap the hair around in large sections.”  

Award-winning hairdresser Jonathan Andrew 

2. It’s all in the angle 

“Don’t aim the hair dryer up the hair shaft – that means the hair follicles will dry sticking out and make the hair feel rough and not silky or smooth.”

Celebrity hair stylist Lyndsey Harrison 

3. Try a comb attachment

“Comb nozzles are a great way of injecting volume right at the root area, plus your hair stays tangle-free. Finish with cold air once hair is dry using the cool-shot button, which will set the hair.” 

Taylor Taylor London art director Gary Evans

GHD Professional Comb Nozzle

(Image credit: GHD)

4. Take time to cool

“Once hair is prepped and sectioned, you can start drying with your brush. To achieve maximum volume, let the hair cool on the round brush before letting it down.” 

T3 ambassador and celebrity hair stylist Laura Polko

5. Lift and spritz

“If applying product to the hair while blow drying, make sure you lift the hair up to get to all the sections – don’t just spray it on the top visible section.”

Celebrity hair stylist Lyndsey Harrison 

OGX Argan Oil of Morocco Heat Protect Spray

(Image credit: OGX)

6. Add height to short hair 

“Lifting hair up and away from the face is a route to making short hair effortlessly stylish. When hair is still wet, create a low side parting, then comb through a lightweight styling mousse for hold.  Blow dry away from your face, and when it's 100% dry, use a little styling gel to slick back the sides.”

A-list hairdresser Charles Worthington 

Charles Worthington Volume & Bounce Mousse

(Image credit: charles worthington)

7. Finish with tools

“Seal flyaway and baby hairs by pressing a hair straightener or tong on to the surface of your hair once your look is complete. Running the back of a warm styler across the top of your head along the parting line helps to create added shine and seal down the hair cuticle.” 

A-list stylist Adam Reed

8. Preserve your style

“If your style drops soon after drying, flick your hair back and forth around the front of your hairline using your fingers to revive product and create natural movement. You can also give yourself a scalp massage to create a natural root lift.”

Owner and creative director of Hare & Bone Sam Burnett