Making your own beans really isn’t as complicated as you might think. This recipe packs loads of flavour in with herbs and spices, perfect for a slightly more adventurous breakfast.
- ½tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves
- 1tsp mustard powder
- 200g (7oz) passata
- 2tbsp good-quality balsamic vinegar
- ½tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 100ml (4fl oz) water
- pinch cayenne
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1tbsp grated Cheddar cheese, to serve (optional)
Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and fry the onions until softened and browned. Add the remaining ingredients except the beans, bring to the boil then simmer for 20 to 30 minutes to thicken and reduce. Season, add the beans and heat through. Top with Cheddar, if you like.