Recipe taken from Dairy-Free Delicious by Katy Salter, published by Quadrille, £18.99
- 2 lemongrass stalks, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 2 round shallots, finely diced
- 2tbsp curry powder
- 1tsp ground turmeric
- 450g skinless, boneless chicken thighs, diced
- 400ml chicken stock
- 250g pumpkin or butternut squash, deseeded and cut into 2cm cubes
- 200g potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 250ml coconut milk
- 3 tsp sugar
- 30ml fish saucefresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- 1 red chilli, sliced, to garnish (optional)
- lime wedges, to serve
Blitz the lemongrass and garlic in a small food processor to form a thick paste.
Heat a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over a medium heat. Add the oil, then fry the shallots for about 4 minutes, until softened. Add the lemongrass and garlic paste and fry for 2 minutes, until fragrant. Stir the curry powder and turmeric into the mixture and fry for just 30 seconds, then add the diced chicken. Fry for a couple of minutes until the chicken is coated in the spices and starting to brown, then pour in the stock.
Bring the stock to the boil, then add the diced pumpkin or squash and the potatoes. Reduce the heat slightly, season, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the coconut milk, sugar and fish sauce. Simmer, uncovered, over a medium-high heat for another 5 minutes. Check the chicken is cooked through and check the seasoning.
Garnish with the coriander leaves, and slices of red chilli if desired, and serve with lime wedges.