- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1kg (2lb 4oz) skinless chicken thighs, on the bone
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200ml (7fl oz) red wine
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 200g (7oz) tomato passata
- 1/4tsp chilli powder
- 1/4tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1tsp caster sugar
- large handful basil leaves, finely chopped
- For the salad
- 1tsp sunflower oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 100g (4oz) Swiss chard, roughly chopped
- 50g (2oz) baby leaf spinach
- 50g (2oz) small pitted black olives (we used Spanish couchillo olives)
- good squeeze lemon juice
- 3/4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Heat the oil in a wide casserole over a medium heat. Brown the meat in batches; set aside. Cook the onion for 5 minutes, add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Pour in the red wine, turn up the heat and allow to bubble for a few seconds before adding the tomatoes, passata, chilli, paprika and sugar, along with 4tbsp water. Return the chicken to the pan, mix well, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and leave to cook for 30 minutes. Season and stir through the basil leaves.
For the salad, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the garlic, cook for a few seconds then add the beans, chard, spinach and olives. Turn up the heat slightly and sauté for 2 minutes. Season well, stir in the lemon juice and oil.