Prince Charles' charity, The Prince's Foundation, is being investigated by police

The Prince's Foundation will be undergoing a police investigation as claims suggest the charity was involved in a cash-for-honors scheme

The Prince's Foundation
(Image credit: Getty)

The Prince's Foundation, a charity established by Prince Charles, is undergoing an investigation by the police who believe that the organization is involved in a cash-for-honors scheme. 


It has just been revealed that Prince Charles' charity is going to be investigated for a cash-for-honors scheme that was alleged to take place in a private ceremony in 2016.

It was announced, “The Metropolitan police service has launched an investigation into allegations of offences under the Honours (Prevention of Abuses) Act 1925."

"The decision follows an assessment of a September 2021 letter. This related to media reporting alleging offers of help were made to secure honours and citizenship for a Saudi national."

See more

The Saudi national in question is alleged to be Dr. Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz, one of Saudi Arabia's richest men who reportedly received a CBE honor in a small ceremony in 2016 after making generous donations to various organizations close to the Prince's heart. 

These donations were reportedly given to various Oxford and Cambridge Colleges and royal mansions the Dumfries House and the Castle of Mey. The tycoon claimed these were because of his strong interest in British culture.

However, The Sunday Times revealed in September that this was "the center of an honors controversy" as the wealthy Saudi Tycoon, "had been advised that securing honorary roles and awards would help his attempt to secure British citizenship or residency through a “golden visa”, in the tier 1 investor scheme which awards residency in exchange for investing £2m."

Following this announcement in September 2021, one of Prince Charles' closest aides, Michael Fawcett, stepped down and an internal investigation was held to uncover the truth about this claim.

The police have now revealed that the foundation is continuing to aid the police investigation and have been forthcoming about handing over documents that have been requested.

The police statement said, “The Special Enquiry Team has conducted the assessment process which has included contacting those believed to hold relevant information."

“Officers liaised with the Prince’s Foundation about the findings of an independent investigation into fundraising practices. The foundation provided a number of relevant documents."

It was then revealed that there have not been any arrested in regard to this investigation and the police are still gathering evidence at this time.

“These documents were reviewed alongside existing information. The assessment determined an investigation will commence. There have been no arrests or interviews under caution.”

Prince charles

(Image credit: Chris Jackson/Getty Images)

Previously, Prince Harry took a swipe at Prince Charles and CBE scandal, but as a police investigation has been launched, many royals have yet to comment.

Clarence House told the Guardian, “The Prince of Wales had no knowledge of the alleged offer of honors or British citizenship on the basis of donation to his charities.” 

A spokesperson for the Prince’s Foundation added, “It would be inappropriate to comment on an ongoing investigation.”

Laura is a news writer for woman&home who primarily covers entertainment and celebrity news. Laura dabbles in lifestyle, royal, beauty, and fashion news, and loves to cover anything and everything to do with television and film. She is also passionate about feminism and equality and loves writing about gender issues and feminist literature.


Laura loves drinking and eating and can often be found trying to get reservations at London's trendiest restaurants. When she's not wining and dining, Laura can also be found travelling, baking, and hiking with her dog.