This fruity chutney is perfect for Boxing Day cold cuts of meat and cheese
- 600ml (1pt) red wine
- 850ml (1½pt) red wine vinegar
- 450g (1lb) light muscovado sugar
- 1.3kg (3lb) Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 200g (7oz) stoned dates, chopped
- 450g (1lb) onions, peeled and chopped
- 150g (5oz) cranberries
- 150g (5oz) figs, chopped
- 125g (4½oz) sultanas
- 3tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1tsp black pepper
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 2tsp English mustard powder
- 2tsp salt
- a preserving pan, sterilised jars and vinegar-proof lids
- Place the red wine in the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring until reduced to 200ml (7fl oz), then add the red wine vinegar and sugar, and stir until dissolved. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring regularly until the chutney is well reduced and thick. Remember that chutneys thicken even more when cold.
- Spoon the chutney into warm sterilised jars and seal.
- Store in a cool dark place for at least 6 weeks before eating. It will last for 3 or 4 months.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up
More Fig Recipes
More Chutney Recipes