Irresistible – individual rhubarb and orange crumbles hot from the oven
- 50g (2oz) cold butter, cubed
- 75g (3oz) flour
- 25g (1oz) coarse oatmeal
- 25g (1oz) caster sugar
- 350g (12oz) rhubarb, cut into 2cm (¾in lengths)
- zest 1 orange, plus 1tbsp juice
- 2 balls stem ginger, finely chopped
- 40g (1½oz) light muscovado sugar
- 6 ramekins, around 130ml (4½fl oz) capacity, or mini Kilner jars (rubber seals removed)
Bag up any extra crumble topping in the freezer (it will keep for a month) then use from frozen for a speedy crumble for Sunday lunch.
Heat the oven to 190C, 170C fan, 375F, gas 5. To make the crumble, rub the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in the oatmeal and caster sugar, and set aside.
To make the filling, in a small bowl, mix the rhubarb, orange zest and juice, stem ginger and muscovado sugar. Divide equally between the ramekins or jars and top with the crumble mix. Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the topping is golden. Serve with clotted cream, if you like.