Lamb shanks will be meltingly tender and almost fall off the bone, delicious with tomatoes and chickpeas
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks, about 350g (12oz) each
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 x 400g (14oz) tin chopped tomatoes
- 300ml (1/2 pt) white wine
- 850ml (1 ½ pt) chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 x 400g (14oz) tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp curly parsley, finely chopped
You will need
- a large casserole with a lid that will hold the lamb shanks in a single layer
For a lamb recipe that really hits the spot, give this easy lamb shank recipe a go and you'll have a dish that's full of flavour with really tender meat. Try it out for your next dinner party and everyone will be really impressed.
HOW TO MAKE BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH TOMATOES AND CHICKPEAS
- Heat the oven to 170C, 150C fan, 325F, gas 3. Trim any excess fat from the lamb shanks and season well. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large casserole and brown the lamb shanks really well on all sides. Remove the lamb, add the remaining oil to the pan and cook the onion for 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the remaining ingredients except the orange juice, chickpeas and parsley.
- Bring to the boil, return the lamb, cover the casserole and place in the oven for 2 ¼ hr -3 ½ hrs or until the meat is almost falling off the bone. Remove the casserole from the oven, remove the lamb to a warm serving dish and cover.
- Place the casserole back on the heat and skim off any fat. Add the red wine vinegar and chickpeas and reduce the sauce until slightly thickened, stir in the parsley. Pour the sauce over the lamb and serve.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up
More Lamb Recipes
More Tomato Recipes
dinner party Recipes
More Dinner party Recipes