Prince Charles 'despairing' over Prince Andrew’s 'front and center' role at Prince Philip’s memorial

Senior royals were reportedly against the Queen's decision to give Prince Andrew a prominent role at Prince Philip's memorial service

Prince Charles 'despairing' over Andrew’s role at memorial
(Image credit: Getty)

Prince Charles and Prince William expressed 'dismay' over Prince Andrew's prominent role at Prince Philip's memorial service on Tuesday, according to royal insiders. 


Senior royals were left in 'dismay' by Prince Andrew's 'front and center' role at the Duke of Edinburgh's Service of Thanksgiving yesterday, according to inside sources. 

The Duke of York escorted the Queen down the aisle of Westminster Abbey for Prince Philip's memorial ceremony on Tuesday morning, marking his first public appearance since his US sex abuse case with Virginia Giuffre was settled in February. 

It's understood that the 62-year-old was only expected to accompany his mother from Windsor Castle to the London cathedral, where she would then be guided by the Dean of Westminster to her seat. 

Andrew remained by her side, however, after entering the church and continued to guide her all the way to the front pew. This decision, which reportedly hadn't been approved by any senior royals, is said to have caused significant 'consternation' within the famous family. 

Queen

(Image credit: Getty)

Queen

Prince Andrew also drove with the Queen to Westminster Abbey on Tuesday 

(Image credit: Getty)

"There was no suggestion beforehand that he would be supporting her in that way. It hadn't been discussed specifically but it was hoped that common sense would intervene," a source told the Mail Online. "Clearly it didn't. There is dismay. I think people accept that this doesn't look good." 

It's understood that Prince Andrew, who was stripped of his military honors and royal patronages earlier this year, 'insisted' that he walk the Queen up the aisle in an effort to convey her 'endorsement' of him. 

"No one would have found out until it was too late The Prince of Wales will be despairing at the decision," the source added. "And I don't think the Duke of Cambridge will be too happy either. But that's Andrew all over." 

Ultimately, it was the Queen who made the final call on whether or not the disgraced royal should participate in the ceremony. 

According to royal experts, her inclusion of Prince Andrew in the ceremony reflects the 95-year-old monarch's desire to prove her steadfast loyalty to her family. 

"This was her way of quietly showing 'OK, he messed up really badly, this was a disgrace, but he is my son,'" former BBC correspondent  Jennie Bond told the Express. 

Emma is a news writer for woman&home and My Imperfect Life. She covers the Royal Family and the entertainment world, as well as the occasional health or lifestyle story. When she's not reporting on the British monarchy and A-list celebs, you can find her whipping up vegan treats and running the roads to cheesy '90s pop music...but not at the same time, obviously.