We all love jetting off on holiday.
Taking a break from work, exploring a new place, indulging ourselves in all the food and drink that we want.
But one thing that fills us all with a sense of dread are looming queues that await us when we arrive at the airport.
Whether we’re flying out to our chosen destination or making our way back home, we’re always met with queue after queue after queue.
And one of the worst offenders when it comes to airport queues? The line at security.
With fellow passengers (and, let’s face it, ourselves too) removing liquids, tablets and laptops, stripping off belts, jackets and shoes and of course being caught out by the metal detectors and having to undergo an extra search, the queue steadily starts to build up.
And now a survey has revealed the worst offenders across the UK.
According to a survey by Which?, the UK airport that keeps holidaymakers waiting around at security for the longest time is Manchester airport.
The research suggests bad news for anyone travelling from the northern airport, with queuing times estimated at 17 minutes per passenger on average.
One traveller in the survey even claimed that they had waited for a massive 90 minutes.
But Manchester wasn’t the only airport to keep passengers waiting around for a long while, with 26 UK airports making the list.
Wondering where your local airport ranks? These are the average waiting times reported in the survey:
Large airport waiting times
- Manchester T1: 17 minutes per passenger
- Manchester T2: 15.5minutes per passenger
- Manchester T3: 15.5minutes per passenger
- Stansted: 13.7minutes per passenger
- Luton: 11.7minutes per passenger
- Birmingham: 10.6minutes per passenger
- Edinburgh: 10.5minutes per passenger
- Heathrow T3: 10.3minutes per passenger
- Heathrow T2:9.6 minutes per passenger
- Heathrow T4:9.4 minutes per passenger
- Gatwick North:8.7 minutes per passenger
- Gatwick South:8.6 minutes per passenger
- Heathrow T5: 8.6minutes per passenger
Small airport waiting times
- Belfast International: 22.3minutes per passenger
- East Midlands: 12.7minutes per passenger
- Glasgow International: 12.2minutes per passenger
- Leeds Bradford: 10.6minutes per passenger
- Liverpool (John Lennon): 10.1minutes per passenger
- Bristol: 8.5minutes per passenger
- Newcastle: 8.1minutes per passenger
- Bournemouth: 7.7minutes per passenger
- London City: 7.5minutes per passenger
- Cardiff: 7.1minutes per passenger
- Exeter: 6.9minutes per passenger
- Southend: 5.2minutes per passenger
- Southampton: 5.2 minutes per passenger
How to do a pro-worthy facial at home
This week in lockdown beauty: learn how to DIY a facial at home.
By Miriam Herst-Stein •
Long hairstyles that flatter every face shape and will never go out of style
Get inspired with our pick of the best long hairstyles and expert tips on how to make long hair work for you
By Fiona McKim •
The UK’s best nudist beaches for families and couples
Where to strip off and enjoy the elements on the UK’s top nudist beaches
By Lottie Gross •
This historic chateau in southern France is Airbnb’s most 'liked' photo from 2020
Warning: will trigger serious wanderlust
By Lydia Swinscoe •
You can now book a Riviera Travel European tour for 2022 with deposits starting from just £50
Travel company Riviera Travel has released their line-up of dreamy European tours for 2022, so that we can all book in something to look forward to
By Aleesha Badkar •
The UK’s most peaceful villages have been revealed and they're perfect for a relaxing getaway
So beautiful as well!
By Lucy Buglass •
Best UK staycations for 2021 - the most beautiful places to visit in Britain
Put these beautiful and best UK staycations on your list for future adventures
By Lauren Hughes •
Are river cruises safe from Covid? Here's everything you need to know
By Lauren Hughes •
Desperate for a post-lockdown getaway? Travel the beautiful waters of Italy with confidence with Riviera Travel - from just £919
They have some solid Covid-19 safety policies in place...
By Amy Hunt •
This coastal break is the ideal post-lockdown jaunt for those wanting to stay close to home
Head to the coast for a post-lockdown break with Riviera Travel
By Aleesha Badkar •