Make the most of autumn weekends and cosy down with loved ones in one of these pretty country inns, cottages and indulgent country hotels.
As the nights close in and that distinctly autumnal nip in the air makes itself known, we reckon there’s nothing more pleasant than cosying down with a good book or a board game in front of a roaring fire – and it’s even better if you’ve managed to sneak away to a pretty country inn or cottage for a long weekend.
A lovely weekend away needn’t cost a packet (though if you’re on a reasonable budget, there are some absolute gems to enjoy across the length and breadth of the country).
Our selection embraces simple self-catering properties, indulgent country hotels with world-class spa and leisure facilities – and some amazing destination that are worth the visit just for the views across spectacular scenery.
Whatever you choose, take the one you love for a break you’ll remember and enjoy the British autumn at its best!
Lucknam Park, near Bath
- Michelin-starred dining
- Extensive equestrian facilities
- Autumn offer – 3 nights for the price of two, saving £275 per stay
Set in 500 acres of parkland and woodland with an arboretum of over 600 rare and unusual tree species, Lucknam Park is a 42-room Palladian mansion and an ideal escape for those looking for country walks amongst the Autumn leaves, with dogs now welcome to stay in the lap of luxury with their owners. Autumn is a perfect time to visit, with walks through leafy woodland and afternoons in front of roaring open log fires in the library and drawing room – with a fabulous choice of books and board games.
Wind down with a pampering treatment in the world-class spa, and relax in their range of thermal cabins and spa facilities. There is a fabulous gas fire that lights up at dusk along the wall beside the swimming pool.
- Two nights from £330, including afternoon tea, cheeseboard with wine and use of Armathwaite Hall spa facilities
- Bring your dog for £10 a night
- Scotland’s largest infinity pool
- Glass walled retreat with stunning views
- From £127 per night
- Two night breaks from £590 in October, £774 at half term
- Home cooked food at the estate’s pub
- Dazzling colours of the Stourhead Gardens
- Try the amazing STAYFARI walk with private guide
- Three nights from £1050 self catering, with free wifi and spa access
- 3 nights from £95pp
- Complimentary tea and cakes
- Much hotel furniture made from fallen New Forest trees
- Close to Henley-on-Thames
- Rooms from £95 a night
- Top notch pub grub