- 300 to 350g (10 to 12oz) sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 125g (4½oz) dried medium egg noodles
- 75g (3oz) baby corn, sliced lengthways
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into fine strips
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 50g (2oz) mangetout
- 2.5cm (1in) piece fresh root ginger, peeled and cut into fine strips
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced lengthways
- soy sauce, to taste
- For the marinade
- 2tbsp each dry sherry, soy sauce, fish sauce and 1tbsp sugar
Mix together the marinade ingredients, stir in the beef, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. You can leave it overnight.
Cook the noodles in boiling water for about 4 minutes or according to packet instructions, then refresh under cold water. You could toss them in a little sesame or groundnut oil here to prevent sticking.
Preheat a non-stick wok until really hot. Brown the beef, retaining the marinade for use later, before adding the vegetables. You may have to do this in two batches. Stir-fry for a few minutes, then add the marinade for the final minute.
Add the noodles and mix all the ingredients together. Pour over a little soy sauce to taste and serve immediately.