- 150g (5oz) soba noodles
- 2½tbsp oil
- 500g (1lb 2oz) rump or sirloin steak, fat trimmed
- 1tsp Thai fish sauce
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 1½tbsp mirin
- juice 2 limes
- 2tsp honey
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli and 2 garlic cloves
- 1 stick lemongrass
- 1 head Chinese leaf, chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled into ribbons
- 5 spring onions, sliced
- ½ cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- 2tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
- 2tbsp mint, roughly chopped
Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the noodles and cook according to the pack instructions. Drain, rinse in cold water, toss in ½tbsp of the oil and set aside.
Heat 1tbsp of the oil in a heavy-based frying pan, add the steak and cook for 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and, when cool enough to handle, slice thinly and set aside. Mix the sauces, mirin, lime juice and honey; set aside.
Heat a heavy-based frying pan to medium, add the remaining oil, shallots, chilli, garlic and lemongrass, and cook, stirring often for 2 or 3 minutes, or until soft and lightly browned. Remove from the heat. Now, either in the pan or a large bowl, toss all the ingredients together in the chilli mixture and dressing, and serve.
Top Tip for making Asian Beef and Noodle Salad
Use the leftovers for lunch the next day. Just serve in lettuce wraps, with a dip of sweet chilli sauce mixed with a little soy sauce.