Lamb is such a traditional Easter recipe (opens in new tab) that it’s hard to imagine the holiday without it. But this year why not switch up your usual roast lamb recipe (opens in new tab) for this gorgeous slow roasted Greek-style leg of lamb for a change?
Marinated in garlic, lemon and herbs, this lamb will be bursting with delicious flavour and the meat is wonderfully tender thanks to its slow cooking time. Serve it up with a pile of sticky potatoes and watch the family tuck in this Easter Sunday for a job well done.
HOW TO MAKE SLOW ROAST GREEK-STYLE LEG OF LAMB
- a whole leg of lamb (around 2.2kg), bone-in
- 1kg king Edward potatoes, peeled and halved
- a large handful of fresh oregano
- tbsp sunfower oil
For the marinade:
- 5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 25g oregano, leaves only 15g mint, leaves only
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1 cinnamon stick, roughly broken
- tsp ground cinnamon
- 4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- In a food processor, blend all the marinade ingredients until smooth. Using a sharp knife, make small slashes over the lamb, rub with the marinade and set aside in the fridge overnight. Allow to come to room temperature before roasting.
- Heat the oven to 200C, gas 6. Lay the potatoes in a large roasting tin and put the meat on top on a rack. Sprinkle over the oregano, drizzle with any extra marinade and the oil, season and add 4tbsp water to the tin. Roast for 20 minutes then turn down the oven to 180C, gas 4 and roast for 1 hour and 25-35 minutes. Leave to rest for 15 minutes before carving. Serve with spring vegetables.
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Easter biscuits recipe
Use our simple Easter biscuits recipe to make fun, spring time sweet treats to share with friends and family
By Rosie Conroy • Published
Easter carrot cake recipe
Our Easter carrot cake recipe makes a four-layered cake packed with fruit, nuts, and coconut. We think this might just be the best carrot cake ever!
By Jane Curran • Published
Crown of lamb roast
By Jules Mercer • Published
Chocolate and hazelnut roulade
This chocolate and hazelnut roulade comes with an optional Baileys Irish cream liqueur filling for an extra, festive twist
By Jen Bedloe • Published
This no-bake Baileys cheesecake is so easy to make and perfect for cream liqueur lovers, plus it takes just 40 minutes to prepare
By Jess Meyer • Published
Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline
Serve this rich Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline for a festive dessert that makes a popular alternative to Christmas pudding
By Jen Bedloe • Published
Kate Middleton and Prince William's awkward upset over 'no Easter presents' from Harry and Meghan
Prince Harry claims that Kate Middleton and Prince William were upset over an awkward Easter present moment
By Caitlin Elliott • Published
Princess Margaret’s go-to dinner party game and hatred for squirrels couldn’t be more *her*
Princess Margaret’s go-to dinner party game is very unique and her fellow guests would never have known it was happening…
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Princess Charlotte resembles Queen at Easter Sunday service
Princess Charlotte resembles the Queen at the Windsor Easter Sunday service as she attends with other members of the Royal Family
By Laura Harman • Last updated