- 20g (¾oz) unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 100g (4oz) streaky bacon, sliced
- 200g (7oz) chestnut button mushrooms, sliced
- 125g (4½oz) fine asparagus, chopped into 3cm lengths
- 250g (9oz) stale bread, cubed
- 100g (4oz) mature cheddar, grated
- 5 medium eggs
- 250ml (9fl oz) milk
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/350F/Gas 4. Melt the butter in a large frying pan and add onion, pancetta & mushroom and cook for 10 minutes until soft.
Place the asparagus in a large pan of boiling water and simmer for 2 minutes. Refresh in cold water. Transfer to a large bowl and stir through the onion, pancetta & mushroom, cubed bread and cheese.
Lightly whisk the eggs in a jug then stir through the milk, mustard and salt. Pour over the bread mix and stir well to combine.
Line a 12 hole muffin with muffin cases. Spoon the mixture into the cases and transfer to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.
These can be made with all sorts of vegetables or cheeses so mix up what you have in the fridge.