The Duke of Edinburgh is set to remain in hospital until next week

Prince Phillip was taken to hospital on Tuesday night after he fell ill

Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Phillip
(Image credit: WPA Pool / Getty Images)

The Queen’s husband, The Duke of Edinburgh is expected to remain in hospital over the weekend and into next week after he fell ill on Tuesday night.

It is unclear at this time, why Prince Phillip is ill but he is said to be in "good spirits".

The Prince, who is 99 years old, was taken to King Edward VII hospital in London on Tuesday, 16th February. 

It was expected that he would remain at this hospital for at least a few days for observation until he is in a better condition. But as the weekend approaches, royal biographer, Omid Scobie, has tweeted an update, telling his followers that a palace source had revealed the Duke was being kept in hospital until next week.

His tweet reads, 'Palace source: “Following consultation with his doctor [Prince Philip] is likely to remain in hospital for observation and rest over the weekend and into next week. As we have said previously the doctor is acting with an abundance of caution. The Duke remains in good spirits.”

See more

The palace previously revealed in a statement that this is just a 'precautionary measure' to ensure the Duke’s safety at this time. 

The statement read, 'His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital in London, on Tuesday evening. The Duke's admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness's Doctor, after feeling unwell. The Duke is expected to remain in the hospital for a few days of observation and rest.'

The Duke of Edinburgh is due to celebrate his 100th birthday in June this year. It is thought that the Queen and Prince Philip will part ways due to work commitments after the milestone birthday. 

Earlier this year,  in January, it was announced that both the Queen and Prince Phillip have received their vaccination for COVID 19. The Queen and Duke both fall within the high priority groups for vaccinations in the UK because they are over 80 years old.  

A royal source told the BBC, "He travelled by car to the hospital, where he was admitted on his doctor's advice. The duke had been feeling unwell for a few days, but it was not related to coronavirus." It was also revealed that the Duke was "in good spirits" in hospital.

 Prime Minister Boris Johnson sent his best wishes to the Duke this afternoon. A spokesperson from Number 10  said, 'The Prime Minister sends his best wishes to the Duke of Edinburgh as he undergoes a few days of rest in hospital.'

The Duke retired from public duties in 2017 and has rarely been seen at public events since then.