ITV remove 'misleading' press headlines during Harry and Meghan interview

A complaint was reportedly made over ‘seriously inaccurate’ headlines shown

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex gesture during their visit to Canada House in thanks for the warm Canadian hospitality and support they received during their recent stay in Canada, on January 7, 2020 in London, England
(Image credit: Photo by DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS - WPA Pool/Getty Images)

ITV has edited Prince Harry and Meghan’s interview with Oprah Winfrey to remove “misleading” headlines. 

Last week saw Prince Harry and Meghan’s interview with Oprah Winfrey air, shocking royal fans who tuned in to hear exactly what the couple had to say about life in the royal spotlight. During this astonishing conversation, Duchess Meghan shared her struggles with her mental health in the first few years after marrying Harry. She also claimed that an unnamed member of the Royal Family commented about her and Harry's son Archie’s skin color before he was born. 

Whilst Prince Harry made the devastating claim that his father Prince Charles stopped taking his calls after they announced their intention to step back as senior members of the Royal Family. The Sussexes’ revelations have astounded viewers, but now the UK television network ITV has reportedly confirmed they would remove three "misleading" headlines that were shown during the broadcast. 

Headlines popped up on-screen, which some have said were manipulated to support the couple’s claim they were subjected to racist coverage. According to Metro.co.uk, Associated Newspapers lodged a complaint to American TV network CBS over a segment of the interview. 

More from woman&home:

  • Best air purifiers - improve air quality in your home with our pick of the top models
  • Best pillow - for a comfortable, pain-free night’s sleep whether you’re a back, side or stomach snoozer
  • Best blenders - make smoothies, soups, sauces and desserts with blenders for every budget

A post shared by Oprah (@oprah)

A photo posted by on

Metro.co.uk reports that in a letter sent to CBS, Associated Newspapers’ legal director, Elizabeth Hartley, said: ‘Many of the headlines have been either taken out of context or deliberately edited and displayed as supporting evidence for the programme’s claim that the Duchess of Sussex was subjected to racist coverage by the British press.

‘This editing was not made apparent to viewers and, as a result, this section of the programme is both seriously inaccurate and misleading’. 

Following this, the Telegraph wrote that an ITV spokesman said it would remove three manipulated Daily Mail, MailOnline and Mail on Sunday headlines, as well as a headline wrongly attributed to the Guardian.

Oprah's company, Harpo Productions, has supposedly said: “We stand by the broadcast in its entirety”.

The relationship between the press and the Sussexes is due to be further explored in a new BBC documentary. This new two-part docuseries will explore the relationship between the royal couple and the media and will also compare the media’s treatment of Harry and Meghan with that of Prince William and Kate Middleton.

Last week Buckingham Palace responded to Prince Harry and Meghan’s interview with a statement that read: 'The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.

'The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. Whilst some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.

‘Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much-loved family members’, the statement concluded.