If there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that being kind to one another is something that should be at the top of our to-do lists.
Often – and especially at the moment – it’s easy for tempers to flare or frustrations to bubble up (anyone else experiencing lockdown anger right now?)
But approaching difficulties in our lives with kindness can actually help to soothe so many situations.
And kindness can come in so many different forms – it might be a more vocal appreciation for all that a loved one does for you. Or, it might be a gentle word to a stressed out friend.
It might even be something practical, such as taking the neighbours dog out for a walk if they’re going through a tough time. Or, it could simply be a kind word of encouragement.
Kindness can even be good for our mental health. In a study conducted by Dr. Sonja Lyubomirsky, psychology professor at University of California, students were tasked with completing five random acts of kindness, each week. And by the end of the study, it was found that overall, levels of happiness amongst the students had increased by a huge 41%.
Whatever form it comes in, kindness is always welcome – now, during this global pandemic, and beyond.
In fact, this week is Mental Health Awareness Week, and the theme this year is kindness. So there’s no better time to consider the benefits a little kindness brings, to our lives and those around us.
So if you’re looking for a bit of inspiration to incorporate kindness in your life more regularly, look no further than these lovely quotes to live by…
Inspiring kindness quotes to live by
1. “Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.” Henry James
2. “Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.” Princess Diana
3. “He that has done you a kindness will be more ready to do you another, than he whom you yourself have obliged.” Benjamin Franklin
4. “Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.” Franklin D. Roosevelt
5. “When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they’ll remember and be kind to someone else. And it’ll become like wildfire.” Whoppi Goldberg
6. “You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
7. “We just need to be kinder to ourselves. If we treated ourselves the way we treat our best friend, can you imagine how much better off we would be?” Meghan Markle
8. “The only way to tell the truth is to speak with kindness. Only the words of a loving man can be heard.” Henry David Thoreau
9. “For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.” Audrey Hepburn