How to get a long lasting gel mani without setting foot in a salon
Gel nail polish is not a new phenomenon. In fact, women everywhere have been taking a seat in the salon chair and baking on polish under UV lights for years now. However a new breed of high street buys are now taking on nail bars at their own game.
These days its possible to DIY with everything from foolproof gel kits to hybrid polishes that deliver the same glossy look without UV, time-consuming removal and an expensive in-salon pricetag. Of course, as with all things beauty, preparation is key. If you want a home manicure that goes the distance you will need to ensure you have a clean and tidy nail plate. Here’s how to prime your nail plate at home…
1) It may sound obvious but always start by washing your hands, especially if you have recently used nail vanish remover, this will give your new application of varnish longevity.
2) File your nails into your desired shape – square, oval, squoval or pointed – but be careful to only shape the free edge (the white section). Resist the temptation to go further as it will weaken the nail’s structure and increase the chances of snapping.
3) Once your nails are clean, apply a small bead of cuticle cream to each cuticle and massage it into the surrounding skin gently. Next, take a wooden manicure stick and rub the slanted edge of it across the nail plate in circular motions to lift away any dead cuticle and flaking nail.
Tip: Apply minimal pressure. If you press too hard you risk denting your nail plate or jabbing the delicate skin surrounding it.
4) Use cuticle cutters to carefully trim away any dead cuticle, skin or over hanging nail which has lifted. Be careful not to cut into the eponychium (healthy skin above the cuticle)
5) Finally, wash your hands a final time to remove the dust from filing and any cuticle cream residue.
Your nails are now ready for your polish application, and we’ve compiled the very best gel kits and hybrid gel-like lacquers for a long-lasting home manicure…