A delicious Cornish pasty recipe – comfort food at its best
- 500g (1lb 2oz) strong white bread flour
- 100g (4oz) lard, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 50g (2oz) butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1tsp salt
- 300g (10oz) beef skirt, cut into small pieces
- 300g (10oz) potato, peeled and finely diced (Maris Pier or Wilja)
- 250g (9oz) swede, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 50g (2oz) butter, cut into small cubes
- 1tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolk mixed with a teaspoon of cold water
Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the lard, butter and salt, and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add enough cold water to make a firm dough. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, then wrap in cling film and rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
For the filling, mix together all the ingredients, season with salt and set aside.
Heat oven to 220C, 200C fan, 425F, gas 7. Divide the pastry into 6 equal-sized pieces and roll out each piece of pastry on a lightly floured surface until large enough to make a round approximately 20cm (8in) in size. Use a plate or cake tin base as a guide. Divide the filling between the pastry circles, and put a few cubes of butter on top. Brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg, then bring the pastry around and crimp together.
Place the pasties on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment, brush with the remaining egg to glaze. Cook in the centre of the oven for 10 minutes. then reduce the oven temperature to 180C, 160C fan, 350F, gas 4 and cook for a further 45 to 50 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm.