This vegetarian Indian dish is made with lentils and is a traditional Indian recipe
- 250g (9oz) yellow split peas
- 3 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 fat green chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 2.5cm (1in) piece fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves
- 2tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 5 to 8 curry leaves
Wash the split peas, then soak in cold water for 2 hours or overnight. Rinse again.
Put the tomatoes, chillies, ginger, garlic and cloves into a large saucepan. Add the drained split peas, stir and add 1.5 litres (23/4pt) water. Bring to the boil, add a pinch of salt and simmer uncovered for 60 to 90 minutes.
Remove from the heat and take out any excess liquid, but reserve it. Blend the split peas together with a hand blender. If too thick, add some of the liquid.
Stir in the coriander and the curry leaves, return to the heat for a few minutes and serve. Itís delicious garnished with fried onions and chopped green chillies.