- 3tbsp olive oil
- 3 onions, peeled, halved and cut into rounds
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 heaped tsp each: ground cumin, ground coriander and fennel seeds
- 9oz (250g) couscous
- 300ml (½pt) hot vegetable stock
- 1 x 410g tin chickpeas, drained
- 1tbsp flat-leaved parsley, roughly chopped
- 1tbsp mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 2tbsp sherry vinegar
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the onions and garlic, and cook for 15 minutes on a medium heat until well browned. Add the cumin, coriander and fennel, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Place the couscous in a large bowl, pour over the vegetable stock, cover with clingfilm and leave to steam for 10 minutes. Then fluff up the couscous grains with a fork. Add the cooked spiced onions and all the other ingredients. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, and serve with the lamb.