This tasty low calorie recipe is full of flavour and a great one to try if you want something more healthy for dinner tonight.
HOW TO MAKE SEAFOOD AND FENNEL SALAD
On the side This salad has a very Middle Eastern flavour, thanks to the sumac, so green olives, warm pitta bread and stuffed vine leaves all make perfect companions. Look for large, firm olives preserved in oil, not brine, as these retain more of their flavour. It's worth visiting your local ethnic grocery store for fresh flatbreads and great-value large bunches of herbs.The inspiration for this recipe came from one of our favourite chefs, Yotam Ottolenghi. Check out his latest book, Plenty, £25, published by Ebury Press.
- Place the fennel in a large bowl. Leave the cucumber in a sieve to drain off excess water, then add to the fennel. Now add the lime zest and juice, the olive oil, chilli and red onion. Mix well and set aside while you cook the seafood.
- Heat a ridged griddle pan or frying pan. Toss the squid in a little oil then cook on a very high heat until just opaque on both sides. Set aside, then cook the scallops very quickly, and then the prawns until just pink. Either halve the squid or slice into rings and add to the fennel with the rest of the seafood. Season well and add the parsley. The salad can now sit, covered, in the fridge overnight.
- When you are ready to serve, add the coriander and mix well. Sprinkle over the sumac and pomegranate seeds.
- 4 medium fennel bulbs, finely sliced
- 1 cucumber, cut into ribbons with a swivel peeler
- zest and juice 2 limes
- 6tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for cooking
- good pinch dried chilli flakes
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 400g (14oz) baby squid or squid tubes
- 200g (7oz) scallops without the roe
- 400g (14oz) peeled raw prawns
- large handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- large handful coriander, chopped
- 1tbsp sumac
- pomegranate seeds, to serve
Meghan Markle wore this stunning designer dress for her Oprah interview
It's sure to be a sell out!
By Sarah Finley •
Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge warn the public against ‘misinformation’ about Covid-19 vaccine
The couple 'wholeheartedly' support having vaccinations
By Emma Shacklock •
Skechers’ new walking shoes are the perfect Mother's Day gift to give your mum the ultimate comfort
Skechers’ new Arch Fit walking shoes offer podiatrist-certified support to keep you stable and comfortable on long walks
By Aleesha Badkar •