Taken from This is Brazil: Home-style recipes and street food by Fernanda de Paula and Shelley Hepworth (£16.99; Hardie Grant Books)
- 180g (6 1/2oz) frozen corn kernels
- 100g (3 1/2 oz/2/3 cup) frozen minted peas
- Rice bran oil or sunflower oil for deep frying
- 350g (12 1/2 oz) potatoes, julienned
- 200g (7oz) smoked chicken breast, shredded
- 2 carrots, shredded lengthways
- 1 green apple, diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 100g (3 1/2oz) pitted green olives, finely diced
- 60g (2oz/1/2 cup) raisins
- 125g (4 1/2oz/1/2 cup) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 30g (1oz) snipped chives
- 30g (1oz) chopped parsley
Blanch the corn and peas in boiling water, then drain and set aside.
Heat about 3cm (1 1/4in) of oil in a deep heavy-based frying pan to 190°c (375°f), or until a cube of bread dropped into the oil turns golden brown in 10 seconds. Pat the potatoes dry with paper towel, then cook in the hot oil for 5 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Remove the potatoes using a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
Put the potatoes, corn, peas, chicken, carrots, apple, onion, olives, raisins and mayonnaise in a large bowl. Mix well until combined. Season with salt and freshly grounf black pepper.
Transfer the salad to a serving dish and sprinkle with the chives and parsley. Serve immediately, while the potatoes are still crispy.