Nutrition per portion
For mint chocolate chip cupcakes Cake mix Use 130g (4½oz) flour, 50g (2oz) cocoa and 2tbsp milk. Omit coffee; add 150g (5oz) dark choc chips. Topping Swap brandy for 1tsp peppermint extract and 3 drops green food colouring.
For pistachio and saffron cupcakes Cake mix Use 100g (4oz) flour, 100g (4oz) ground pistachio nuts. Omit coffee. Topping Beat 400g (14oz) full-fat Philadelphia and 300g (10oz) icing sugar, mixed with 8-10 strands saffron soaked overnight in 1tbsp hot water.
- espresso & brandy cupcakes
- 185g (6½oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 185g (6½oz) golden caster sugar
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 1tbsp strong coffee
- 185g (6½oz) self-raising flour with pinch salt
- for the buttercream
- 150g (5oz) butter, softened
- 150g (5oz) full-fat Philadelphia
- 400g (14oz) icing sugar
- 5tbsp brandy
- you will need
- 12-hole muffin tin, lined with paper cases
Heat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Cream the butter and sugar; beat in the eggs. Stir in the coffee; fold in the flour until smooth. Spoon mix into cases; bake for 20 minutes. Cool cakes on a wire rack.
Whisk the butter and cream cheese; beat in the sugar and brandy. Pipe swirls onto the cakes. Sprinkle with espresso powder.