- 480g (1lb 1oz) plain flour
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 375g (13oz) caster sugar
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 200ml (7fl oz) sunflower oil
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 100g (4oz) chopped pecan nuts
- 225g (8oz) pineapple pieces in juice, juice reserved
- 300g (10oz) ripe bananas, peeled weight
- for the cream cheese frosting
- 425g (15oz) Philadelphia cream cheese
- 75g (3oz) very soft butter
- 500g (1lb 2oz) icing sugar, sifted
- 50g (2oz) chopped pecans
- you will need
- a 23cm (9in) deep cake tin, oiled and bottom lined
Heat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Sift the flour, bicarbonate, sugar, cinnamon and 1tsp salt into a large bowl. Stir in eggs; mix well. Add the oil, vanilla and pecans. Purée the fruit; stir in.
Spoon into the cake tin. Bake for 30 minutes, turn down the oven to 170 C, 150 C fan, 325 F, gas 3; cook for a further 1 hour 20 minutes. Cool in the tin, then on a wire rack, and slice horizontally into 3.
Beat the cream cheese until light, whisk in the butter, then gradually add the icing sugar. Sandwich the cakes together and spread the remaining frosting on top. Scatter over the pecans and serve.